InspGadgt

[FIXED] Simplify3D V5 no longer useable for RC airplane prints

It occurred to me that I should probably have posted this here instead of under general discussion:

Simplify3D was the industry standard for printing RC airplanes until Cura and PrusaSlicer fixed the issues they had where only the outer shell would print. Now with Simplify3d V5 it is doing the same thing that Cura and PrusaSlicer used to do. When I slice my parts only the outer skin shows in the preview. Is there some way to fix this? Speaking with 3dLabPrint it seems to be something to do with how it tries to treat overlapping models and join them.

Before slicing: https://photos.app.goo.gl/suB8QkDvRuvFeTWN7

After slicing: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vPjga6kVhjhukeRn9

Also, the height modifier for each process under the Advanced tab is gone. Why use different processes if you can't define the height they take place at. If these aren't fixed I'll be asking for a refund.
wirlybird

Re: Simplify3D V5 no longer useable for RC airplane prints

I think height modifier is at the bottom of the edit process settings window and is called custom zones.
Derrick

Not sure if this would fix your problem, but are your "Single Extrusions" settings in the Advanced tab set properly? If the walls are thinner than your minimum extrusion distance, S3D will ignore it.
Also if there's errors in your mesh, you could upload to TinkerCAD then redownload. TinkerCAD is great at repairing mesh models for any slicer. Only a few times I had to do this as S3D is also really good at it.
InspGadgt

Derrick wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:56 am Not sure if this would fix your problem, but are your "Single Extrusions" settings in the Advanced tab set properly? If the walls are thinner than your minimum extrusion distance, S3D will ignore it.
Also if there's errors in your mesh, you could upload to TinkerCAD then redownload. TinkerCAD is great at repairing mesh models for any slicer. Only a few times I had to do this as S3D is also really good at it.
I tried every setting under Thin Wall Settings...it didn't make a difference. The line width is set to .42mm. I don't see a minimum extrusion distance. The closest setting I see is Minimum Single Length Extrusion which was set to 1.0mm but changing that to .2mm did not fix the issue. As for the meshes...it isn't an error in the mesh. My limited understanding of RC airplane design is that the inner structure and outer structure are designed in such a way where they don't actually connect. Cura and PrusaSlicer used to try to correct this automatically which caused the inner structures to be dropped out. Simplify3D didn't do this so it was the only slicer we could use. It appears Simplify3D is now doing it as well.
InspGadgt

wirlybird wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:58 am I think height modifier is at the bottom of the edit process settings window and is called custom zones.
That's it thanks!
wirlybird

InspGadgt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:31 pm
wirlybird wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:58 am I think height modifier is at the bottom of the edit process settings window and is called custom zones.
That's it thanks!
Yea! Got one thing fixed. I was looking at your model.
Here is something to try. Keep reducing the extrusion width, like 0.4 to 0.39 etc., and see if the parts show up at some point. this would indicate that the walls are very thin. Maybe it is a start.
InspGadgt

wirlybird wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:15 pm Yea! Got one thing fixed. I was looking at your model.
Here is something to try. Keep reducing the extrusion width, like 0.4 to 0.39 etc., and see if the parts show up at some point. this would indicate that the walls are very thin. Maybe it is a start.
I can try that but the models are designed for a specific line width of .42mm
wirlybird

InspGadgt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:14 pm
wirlybird wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:15 pm Yea! Got one thing fixed. I was looking at your model.
I can try that but the models are designed for a specific line width of .42mm
Understand, but I was just wondering if it might tell something.
InspGadgt

Derrick wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:56 am Not sure if this would fix your problem, but are your "Single Extrusions" settings in the Advanced tab set properly? If the walls are thinner than your minimum extrusion distance, S3D will ignore it.
Tinkercad is great for basic stuff but doesn't support enough polygons for most things that I print.
InspGadgt

Responding to S3D-Jason on my other thread:

"Are you able to post the STL file that is causing the problem? It would also help to see a picture of what you want the print to look like.

There's quite a few new repair options in V5, and it looks like the model may be slightly different than the typical 3D solid. I bet you just have to adjust those repair settings to use the geometry as-is instead of filling it in."

I posted links to pictures of what I am printing in the original post. I've tried it with several RC plane STL files and they all have the same issue. 3dLabPrint thinks it is probably one of the new repair features. How would I set it to use "geometry as-is"? I couldn't find any setting like that.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”