tastechnician

Re: V5 - Defining Custom Infill Angles - Missing feature?

Hi everyone.

I too would appreciate this being addressed.

Kind regards,
quezz38

Yeah, this feature was huge for me as well doing production parts. I often define the infill angle for every layer of a part to achieve certain fill characteristics.
chrisdumlao

Totally agree. We design custom aircraft and auto components with CF filament. Defining laminates with custom successive infill layer orientations in V4.0 was a huge discriminator over other slicers. Taking that feature away in v5.0 has forced us to move to CURA, unfortunately. Hope the S3D designers bring it back in the future.
intservo

Same here. We need this feature back.
myprinter

5.0.2 just released, is it fixed?
studiokite

im gunna say no
Would be good to get the alternate support back also.

"Version 5.0.2
New statistics in the Machine Control Panel monitor total print time and estimated time remaining
Hover your mouse over the remaining print time to see the calendar date and time when the print will be completed
Preview Mode can now be automatically exited by importing a new 3D model, factory file, or build file
Improved toolpath placement for specialized builds using zero outline perimeters
Expanded international character support for 3D model files and printer build files
The build volume displayed in the 3D view will now always match the first process in the list
USB printing for x3g machines has been improved with reduced latency for densely meshed files
Updated USB support for SD card setups that require manual initialization
FlashForge machines can now list files directly from the internal storage using WiFi or Ethernet communication
Added WiFi and Ethernet communication support for MakerBot Method and Method X printers
Improved scrolling for the Machine Control Panel communication log during periods of high activity
Expanded licensing support for a wider variety of computing environments
Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when loading new factory files after specific model operations in the UI
Fixed a bug that could create incorrect support structure bounding dimensions
Several additional bug fixes and stability improvements
Added support for 8 new 3D printers including the Anycubic Kobra Neo, Anycubic Kobra Plus, Creality Ender 2 Pro, Creality Ender 5 S1, Creality Sermoon D1, Elegoo Neptune 3, and Raise3D Pro3"
SlickNickel

I finally had a chance to look at V5 and apply it to our product www.pitchouts.com
We exclusively used S3D V4.xx
Our pitchout is one of the most complex pieces of geometry with over 20 separate segments with different custom infill Angles both infill and external patterns.
After spending some considerable time on this, we can not fix or do a work around, to get our model to conform to our engineering specs using V5. (V4 pitchout design took almost 2 years of line by line engineering)

The ability to customize these angles would double the strength and halve the time to do it for printing. We actually use the exact same values as mentioned in a previous post. Odd but true. It allows for good mending of the shell around curved surfaces.

This was the most important “engineering” tool in all of S3D. Without it, we can’t update or expand our product line using V5, and get the strength needed, not to mention an additional 30 minutes added to print time.

We did a SxS with V4 and V5 to try everything under the sun, but we need a 90 an 65 overlap because a 90 and 0 won’t adhere to the sides.

I’m sure we aren’t the only company facing this dilemma.

Please fix this.
Kaylor

I too would like to chime in on this. Not sure if this is the proper way to go about feature suggestions or not, but I noticed the same thing. I just upgraded to v5 and thoroughly checked through all of the settings tabs. I was happy to see that for the most part everything was still there, and more, but the one setting that seems to be non-existent since the upgrade is the variable/customizable infill angle :( I too used to modify my infill angles for various reasons and this is no longer possible... I often prefer a 45 degree offset with rectilinear infill for added strength, and I also regularly make products without solid top or bottom layers, which purposely expose the infill for looks/design purposes. I would modify the infill angles to create new patterns. For example, changing the wiggle infill by 90 degrees would result in a very nice brick-looking pattern. And related, from the same group of settings which are now missing, you used to be able to specify whether you wanted your custom angles to print on every layer, or to alternate layers. I am pretty upset about this, almost to the point of reverting back to version 4, as it is a feature I used regularly. I would love to see it brough back into v5 ASAP. A software "upgrade" never leaves people happy if you've lost features and customizations, even if/when there are dozens of new ones. No reason we should have to give up settings to gain new ones.
intservo

We badly need this feature too as this is the key feature for us to use Simplify3D.
SlickNickel

We looked at this some more, and no doubt, we can’t print our models using V5.xx. Without the variable angles, we can’t get the infills to fill correctly and our top layers don’t adhere to the lower layer.

Our model under V4.2 prints 25 minutes faster with 300 more mm of filament than V5.xx.

Our model under V5.xx literally falls apart when we test it.

On the bright side of things, our model will never be able able to be duplicated at the moment without variable custom infill angles!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”