VividCreative

V5 - Defining Custom Infill Angles - Missing feature?

V5 has moved a few things around and it seems also dropped a few features that where very useful

V5 seems to have dropped the ability to define multiple/consecutive infill angles - both for internal and external infills

V4 Screen shot
Capture.JPG
V5 Screenshot
Capture2.JPG
However, the feature seems to still be honored by the V5.
If open a previous factory file created in V4, and then slice it in V5, the defined infill angles are kept in the resulting slice. But, if I make a change to the the angle setting in V5, the previously defines setting are lost

Team Simplify3D - Is it possible to bring this feature back, or was this simply an inadvertent omission?
S3D-Jason

Re: V5 - Defining Custom Infill Angles - Missing feature?

Can you explain a bit more about what you're trying to do? You can still rotate the infill pattern in V5 using the rotation angle input that you circled.
VividCreative

Sure – sometime with some of the parts that we manufacture we need to define the actual angles of the external infill pattern. We do this for a couple of reasons. Sometimes it's for a specific look, as we need the bottom most layer to align a certain direction and the top layer to align a different. Since we can not define top/bottom layer angles in S3D, this was an easy way around that.

In other instances, we use the ability to define a series of angels in a specific order to generate strength and rigidity in solid parts. For instance, the screenshot I included above was a way for us to introducing additional strength and rigidity part printed in PETG that was only 8 layers thick. Since PETG is generally more flexible filament the sequence of layers help us create a part that was more rigid in one direction while being stronger in the other.
layers.jpg
IN this case a specific sequence of angles was able to achieve the result we needed
S3D-Jason

As a potential workaround for now, you could use the Variable Settings Wizard to create different processes for the bottom 5 layers, middle, and top 5 layers. Then you can use the new "Aligned" infill pattern in V5 and define the exact angle that you want to use. This way you could align the angles of all 5 bottom layers to perfect match the part, and so on.
studiokite

yes I also use this. generally i reduce the amount of material needed by using alternating infill 0deg and 90deg and dont print on each layer.

I then also use the 0 and 45 for the external infill settings. It is a bit strange that this feature was removed.
studiokite

I Just noticed using an old factory file the infill settings are carried over but not the support.

I find alternating the support angle makes it stronger and better to build on.
Attachments
support.jpg
infill.jpg
KarlW1000

Custom angles also work well with round parts. The images show how the infill is more even with V4 than V5 by using angles 45, -45, 0, 90. In V5 it is just 0 and 90 so even if they are rotated they are still 90 degrees apart and leaves the round part with less rigidity.
Attachments
Version 5 infill angles.png
Version 4 infill angles.png
myprinter

I need to know too.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”