studiokite

Custom firmware no longer available in v5, import machine models no longer available.

Some of our machines use custom firmware. The option is no longer available. I could probably sort out this with post processing but why has it been removed?

Also I can no longer import my machine model to see potential collisions or custom build areas.
Attachments
features.jpg
S3D-Jason

Re: Custom firmware no longer available in v5, import machine models no longer available.

The firmware options are now consolidated into the Output tab. For example, if you switch to exporting a gcode file it will automatically use the Marlin/Repetier/Sprinter firmware settings from V4. Switch to exporting an x3g file and it automatically switches to use MakerBot/Sailfish firmware commands.

I believe the process for importing a custom machine model is the same as V4. Export the profile for the machine, open the file in a text editor, and add the full path to the STL file for the print bed as the value for the <machineBackgroundModel> tag. Save the file and reimport into the software to see the changes.
studiokite

Re: Custom firmware no longer available in v5, import machine models no longer available.

Ok so I am unable to modify the firmware settings now. as an example i use different M commands to turn on and off the fan.
I used to load a different .frm file for some of the machines.

Also are we able to load a machine model as before?

I dont understand why so many features have been removed.
S3D-Jason

The process for changing the machine background model is the same as V4. Just put the path to the STL file in the <machineBackgroundModel> tag and re-import the profile. Just tested it here on my computer and it worked correctly.

Can you share what M commands you use to turn off the fan? There's several other ways to change the syntax in V5, so I bet we can give better recommendations if we know more about what you're trying to do.
HexHyte

S3D-Jason wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:29 am I believe the process for importing a custom machine model is the same as V4. Export the profile for the machine, open the file in a text editor, and add the full path to the STL file for the print bed as the value for the <machineBackgroundModel> tag. Save the file and reimport into the software to see the changes.
Uhm what?
In Simplify3D v4 we could just add the 3D machine model in the General Options windows, under Machine tab!
Why they removed this useful feature!?
Attachments
s3dv4.JPG
S3D-Jason

I don't think that approach worked if you had multiple printers. If you ever needed to switch between printers, then you needed to save the filepath for the printer bed STL file into the profile XML. That way it would correctly update when changing machines.
HexHyte

S3D-Jason wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:04 pm I don't think that approach worked if you had multiple printers.
What you say is 100% true but i think that removing the feature completely is not the correct approach.. i know i can still add the STL path to the XML profile but it should way simpler than that!
Last edited by HexHyte on Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
studiokite

I used to save a factory file as a master template for each printer.

It is the fastest way of loading all the corect settings.

All of the settings would then carry across. I could also switch the machine model/workspace on the fly. This way i can quickly update if i am using a different bed or table.

In one case we are using a very large table or plywood. This may be offset from the ground or in a specific orientation.
lesg86

I'm in the same boat here.

I purchased a printer that uses a custom firmware and S3D 4.1.1.

Is there anyway to download an earlier version of S3D so I can use the import firmware feature?

Looks like the only other way to do it in V5 would be to add post-process commands, I'm an end-user so I'm not super familiar on how this would work or what commands to replace with what.
S3D-Jason

What printer are you using? Let us know what commands you need to change and that will make it easier to propose the correct settings.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”