DaveTea

Linux launcher for Gnome/KDE/etc

I cant pretend to understand why anyone would provide commercial software for Linux but not install a .desktop to create a menu entry in any of the modern Linux desktop environments but here we are. You have a GUI installer that takes your credentials and launches the software but then after that....go fish! As a long time customer I will do my usual steps and add S3D to Gnome manually but why should I? I paid for my 5.0 upgrade and thought "they must have fixed that!". Nah.

Add a S3D launcher to modern Linux desktops already. It is kind of ridiculous that one is provided to "Uninstall" but nothing to launch.

For anyone looking for a fix just put this in /usr/share/applications/

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Version=0.9.4
Name=Simplify3D
Comment=Simplify3D Software
Icon=/opt/Simplify3D-5.0.0/icon.png
Exec=/opt/Simplify3D-5.0.0/LaunchScript.sh
Terminal=false
S3D-Jason

Re: Linux launcher for Gnome/KDE/etc

Odd. I just installed S3D V5 on a fresh Linux install here, and I see a .desktop file as expected. What OS are you using?
makelab_de

Same problem here on Fedora Linux 37 (Workstation Edition) with Gnome / Wayland. Some errors:

Simplify3D-5.0.0-linux-x64-installer.run

QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
connect failed: File or directory not found

AddUserPermissions.sh

Changing desktop shortcut ownership...
chown: missing operand after "Simplify3D.desktop"

LaunchScript.sh

Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
Last edited by makelab_de on Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CappuccinoCake

Hey, are there any updates on wayland support? ATM I am starting Simplify3D in x11 in wayland, but for the future it would be nice if it is supported natively in wayland. Could you provide me any updates on the developement process?
S3D-Jason

Sounds like the user above was able to run V5 on wayland just fine. What exact issues are you having? Have you tried the QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland option?

Return to “Feature Requests”