CavanBaillie

Re: S3D V5 Live view

I feel ripped off. Not only is the live preview missing but they have reduced the functionality of the temperature settings on the control panel. They also no longer check units when loading a model. i.e. if you load a model in inches in V4 it recognizes that and asks if you want to convert to mm.
I have had to re-install V4 for some models as the slicer doesn't render them at all.
S3D-Jason

From what I can tell the temperature setting have the same options in V5 vs V4. Can you explain a bit more about what functionality you are missing?

I also confirmed that V5 still auto-detects parts modeled in inches and asks to convert them to millimeters. I just modeled a part in inches in my CAD software, imported it into S3D, and here's a screenshot of the prompt it gave:
Auto-Detect-Inches.png
If you don't get that prompt, have you tried going to Tools > Options > Models tab, and making sure the "Detect incorrect unit system during import" option is enabled?
huskie13

I too think the v5 has removed a lot of features that where used all of the time. if they spelled out what was missing i may not have purchased the new version. Who did they Poll to see if these features where used?
tomiland

Yeah, live view is really important to me in order to compare the model to the print, check for shifting or other difficult areas. The loading time for heating extruder and bed was also quite nice. Not sure why I updated and spent these $$ at this point. :mrgreen: :| :| :| :| :| :| :|
paulmac66

as others have said i have paid for an upgrade for all these new features but you don't tell anyone you have removed features
that's not fair,

as others have said this is one of the main reasons i use simplify 3D, i dont know of any other slicer that does this

i would not have paid to upgrade if i had known
S3D-Jason

Live preview was added in Simplify3D Version 5.1. You can see more details about the feature here (about 3/4 the way down the page):
https://www.simplify3d.com/products/sim ... rsion-5-1/

The new live preview tracking is also fully compatible with the WiFi and Ethernet connected printers in V5 which makes it very convenient to use. This was a popular request, so we are glad we were able to implement it!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”