lubos_h

V5 issue on Mac M1

Hello,
unfortunately, version 5 on Mac M1 16 Gb has an almost unusable Gcode display for larger print jobs. The display response time when rotating or zooming is always a few seconds, it almost stops at high zoom. Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/YuFCYaP4HlA
Money was sent, but I can not use it. I hope that a fix of this huge bug will come soon.
Thank you.
S3D-Jason

Re: V5 issue on Mac M1

The V5 rendering engine should be quite a bit faster than V4. Did you ever use V4 in the past on this same computer, or are you just using V5 now for the first time?
lubos_h

It should be, but on a Mac M1, S3D V5 is at 50% of the speed of V4.1.2. I've been using S3D for many years.
Question is, why other slicers run great on M1, and payed S3D not...
lubos_h

I have uploaded a video comparing the speed of different versions of S3D. At the same time a new bug appeared - the object is too big and does not fit on the pad. This is nonsense, however version 4 can handle it, version 5 can't. I chose a small object, and the difference in speed is not that noticeable, however it is noticeable in favor of 4.1.2. The display of a large object is stuck in both versions, but it is worse in the new one.
https://youtu.be/adYDfrNvN5U
tardar

In my post i was not able to upload a video: viewtopic.php?p=63384#p63384

But i experience the same
I have installed S3D 4 parallely and is much faster in the rendered view than V5 for me.

Here is a little comparing video:
https://tube.tardar.social/w/xxa6oNJLsvWsHUz8jvRtNQ
lubos_h

Wake up Simplify support!!!
We payed for S3D Mac version, and there is no answer....
When we can expect correct Mac M1 version?
DannyD

TLDR; v4 is unusable on the Mac M1, switched to PrusaSlicer. S3D has ruined its reputation. I doubt we'll see an M1-optimized version anytime soon.
S3D-Jason wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:37 pm The V5 rendering engine should be quite a bit faster than V4. Did you ever use V4 in the past on this same computer, or are you just using V5 now for the first time?
I loved S3D but when I got my Mac M1 (16GB ram) I had to abandon v4. The gcode preview was choppy at best and larger models would simply crash. This was the final straw for me and I switched to PrusaSlicer. I was very frustrated initially, but in time I came to love PrusaSlicer!

When v5 came out, I was curious. But with no real standout features, a history of no updates for 3 years, a reduction in licensing, AND charging $60 for the upgrade, I figured I'd wait and see what the reviews say. At the very least I was curious if the new version supported the Mac M1 natively, so I emailed S3d. Here was their response:
S3D-Support wrote:Concerning the M1 Mac, the latest V5 software is using Apple's optimized translation layer when running on M1 computers. We have tested this in the past and it usually works quite well with very little performance loss. Combined with the new rendering engine and 2-3x speed improvements in V5, operations should certainly be notably faster than V4. Of course, our developers are always interested in further improvements, so if you notice any issues with the V5 build please let us know and we can start looking into it right away.
I took this as fancy speak for No, it's not optimized for the M1. But it should be faster than v4.

With so many bugs reported, I sincerely doubt we'll see an optimized version of v5 for the M1 Mac. I'm just curious if there will be ANY updates at all.
tardar

no further comments from the support ?
lubos_h

Version 5.0.1 is out, object placement on delta buildplate is fixed - thanks for that basic functionality correction.
BUT the G-code display is still damn slow on the Mac M1! I don't believe the developers can write "Combined with the new rendering engine and 2-3x speed improvements in V5, operations should certainly be notably faster than V4." Why free ideaMaker is so fast on M1and S3D almost unusable?
ormaa

I have similar issue even if my MAC is not a M1 one.

S3D v4 was really usable on my MAC core i7, 16GB of ram, SSD = 1TB
S3D V5 is almost unusable at all, even with low triangles sty files.
before slicing, it is slllooooowww
when I slice, I cannot turn around, zoom, or do anything.

so bad, I can understand that display 3D model is complex.
what is strange is that most ( all ? ) of 3D software or slicer software ( blender, shapr3D, Fusion 360, onShape in a browser freecad, and purse slicer, cura, and more ) are rendering my sty files fast.

I cross my finger that S3D will be able to be updated for that 😬
because if is far away my favorite slicer, so it will be a pain for me to leave 😖

I Cross finger S3D Dev Team

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”