badben100

Settings info output to gcode

There is no material info within the gcode file itself. The settings are included at the start of the code file but no material names are included. I use a Fluidd web frontend on a Klipper machine.

When a job is uploaded it populates some basic details for the job such as est time, material, length of filament etc that the job was sliced for. But even with the post processor I can't change these settings for material type automatically as the filament material is not included in the gcode in the first place. I would have to manually change the post processing script each time.

It would be nice for the filament type to be output directly be simplify 3d v5.

I know this has already been discussed but I would also benefit from some detailed info on the post processing and what variables are available in there.

You could even maybe include the material as one of those variables if you did not want to output to gcode by default. :D

Thanks
S3D-Jason

Re: Settings info output to gcode

We've done this a few times in the past by just inserting a custom tag for each material using the scripts. It's actually even easier in V5 now with some of the new options. Can you share what exact format you want to use when you write the material into the gcode?
ampster

material as in filament?
Screenshot 2023-02-23 070257.jpg
OneZ I3
CR-10S "Trailer Maker"
CR-10S "Black Betty"
Ender 5 Pro "Ginger"
Ender 5 Plus "Wilson"
P1P "Pooper"
K1 Max "Max"
GuyGuy

Could we have an example script?
Bastii

the funny part :
with v4 everything is shown in klipper. all the missing parts from that photo.

with v5 all information are still there in the gcode but could not read by klipper... dont know why... maybe, because, there is one more line in the first part

that part is new with v5

; app,S3D-Software 5.0.0
; technology,fff
parallyze

Bastii wrote: the funny part :
with v4 everything is shown in klipper. all the missing parts from that photo.
From the few gcode files from v5 I've seen posted here it does look like this parameter isn't included any longer:

Code: Select all

;   printMaterial,PLA
This was included up to 4.1.2 and represented the name of the currently selected material preset.

Other info was included like this at the bottom:

;   Plastic volume: 5736.99 mm^3 (5.74 cc)
;   Plastic weight: 7.11 g (0.02 lb)
As I don't have access to v5 I can't check the appropiate gcode, but maybe that's just changed from
"plastic weight" to "filament weight" and klipper has to check for that different wording now. Did you search
the gcode for "weight" if it appears anywhere?
GuyGuy

Hello,
If I manually enter these lines at the end of the GCODE file, the information is present in the file information in Klipper
; Build Summary
; makerBotModelMaterial,pla
; printMaterial,SOVB

pla -> for filament type
SOVB -> for filament brand

On the other hand, in the print configuration interface, an area would be needed to fill in the filament brand
Attachments
Info.jpg
dannyagostinelli

@S3D-Jason

I was previously parsing the printMaterial section so I could see the material easier in Octoprint.

Looks like

printMaterial
was replaced with

makerBotModelMaterial
in v5 of the app but on version 5.1.0 when you select another material for auto-configure the value never changes from "pla" for the makerBotModelMaterial (i.e. if I select ABS, it still says pla in the gcode output). I can add a custom tag and modify the scripts section to track this separately if the makerBotModelMaterial will remain broken, but unsure how to do this since there's no documentation I could find on the variable names to use in the scripts section. I would like the same format seen below as in 4.1.2 gcode where the printMaterial used to be the proper field. Do you know what we can do to get the material that we've selected in the auto-configure section to output properly into the gcode?

; G-Code generated by Simplify3D(R) Version 4.1.2
; Jul 14, 2022 at 8:57:16 PM
; Settings Summary
; processName,Process1
; applyToModels,Foot stool
; profileName,FlashForge Creator Pro-Octoprint (modified)
; profileVersion,2022-04-25 08:54:30
; baseProfile,FlashForge Creator Pro
; printMaterial,PLA
; printQuality,Fast
; printExtruders,Right Extruder Only
; extruderName,Right Extruder,Left Extruder
; extruderToolheadNumber,0,1
; extruderDiameter,0.4,0.4
badben100

In 5.1 you can create auto configurations for each material but the material name does not appear in the slicer settings in the gcode file. For example my current print is using 'pla+' on a CR10-V3. However, the gcode output is:

; makerBotMachineProfile,replicator_5
; makerBotModelExtruder,mk13
; makerBotSupportExtruder,mk14_s
; makerBotModelMaterial,pla
; makerBotSupportMaterial,pva

Whatever the name of the material used these settings do not change and no other setting references the material name shown in the process settings.

I know that Moonraker gcode parser for klipper searches for filament name in "; printMaterial," and filament type in "; makerBotModelMaterial," when using Simplify3d slicer.

However, how they are formatted is not so much the issue as the format can be changed in the post-processor. My issue is that this information isn't even output based on the slicer settings into the gcode output.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
GuyGuy

Hello,
Same problem, any solution?

Return to “Feature Requests”