dsiegfried

What new features are in v5 that are not already available in free slicers?

My subject heading says it all. Are there any new features in v5 that are not already available in other free slicers like Cura, Prusa, IdeaMaker, and SuperSlicer?
Or is this simply a "catch-up" update that added some, but not all of the missing features that have already been available in the other slicers for some time already?

I mean, don't get me wrong, as a long time user I am really glad we got this update, but it's still missing some important features like Monotonic Fill, Arachne Perimeter Generator, and Ironing, and I'm not aware of any groundbreaking new state of the art features that are not already available elsewhere that would justify the $200 asking price for new users.

Are there any at all??
arhi

Re: What new features are in v5 that are not already available in free slicers?

dsiegfried wrote: Arachne Perimeter Generator
This is actually where cura and slic3r are playing catchup, S3D had this in 4.0 (or 4.1) already many years before cura v5 and slic3r

in 4.1.2 go advanced and you see single extrusion section
in 5.0 it is in the same place
4.1.2.jpg
5.0.jpg
I couldn't care less about ironing (of course different for everyone) but without "Monotonic Fill" I'm not touching s3d even if I paid for it
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
dsiegfried

OK but this did not answer my question. My question is what new features are in V5 that are not already available elsewhere?
Somebody?
S3D-Jason

I think everyone that uses it probably has their own list of favorite features, but I know ones we hear about a lot are:
  • Fast slicing engine capable of handling large and complex models
  • More efficient gcode files that print better on their machines
  • Customizable support structure tools along with easier separation of the supports after printing
  • Our unique multi process system for customizing build sequences and settings
  • Direct integration with nearly every printer out there (the wifi/ethernet communication in V5 improved this even further)
  • Customized profiles built into the software so you can match the results we get in-house right out of the box

I also find the UI more intuitive than other tools I've tried, but that may be personal preference.
Theboz1419

S3D-Jason wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:16 am I also find the UI more intuitive than other tools I've tried, but that may be personal preference.
This is a big one for me and one reason I have stayed with S3D
andcorptech

For me its the following

1. Faster slicing and ability to use highly complex models without crashing/freezing
2. Better support structures, they print and remove easier, though I am very interested in tree supports when PS brings them out, and hope S3D follow with this
3. Multi processes are just done right, i haven't been able to find any other slicer to do it better
4. I would say the best UI , but its really personal preference, i find Cura just horrible....PS not too bad, and Craftware is OK but not as clean as S3D

My models just print better and cleaner is S3D but to be honest ive used it since 2015 so im very familiar with it. Other slicers not so much.

Just an FYI too, the function of "ironing" was possible in S3D before Cura even had it, though its janky and not actually a feature, but more of a hack of the multi process function. I have found this in from the S3D forums, though i remember seeing it mentioned on a web forum somewhere before Cura even had it, but i wasnt anywhere near expert enough to pull it off at the time .... the following link gives an idea of how it works but you can also do it for all "top layers" if you post process the Gcode. anyhow here is the post from here
viewtopic.php?t=8187
And if I manage to find my google fu i will post the more complex version at some stage.
Note.... Please no haters on this, I know its not as easy or clean as Cura but still is a thing.
3dbybrunolopes

I'm waiting for the monotonic infill e independent extrusion multiplier control for bottom and top layers!
Trying already 5.0.1, I think instead having a "reset all transforms" I think and I want each section with independent reset control!
Until this is integrated I'm will be still using Prusa Slicer! And I'm a paying customer!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”