Instrumentation

v5.0.1 Crashes Immediately

I got v5 very recently, and today I downloaded 5.0.1 to try out the improved profile imports.
The installation seemed successful, the sign-in prompt seemed successful, but after one or two seconds, the software just quits.

Any thoughts?
miertink

Re: v5.0.1 Crashes Immediately

My S3D version 5.0.1 is also continuously crashing during start after upgrade from 5.0.0 (64bits version).

The previously version (5.0.0) was running fine, no single instability.

I've already uninstalled both version 5.0.0 and 5.0.1 and deleted all files under C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Simplify3D as suggested in other forums.. but didn't helped so far, keep crashing.
Instrumentation

Additional troubleshooting information:

I can install, uninstall, sign into, and sign out of v5.0.0 at will.
Signing out of S3D before uninstalling throws an error about being unable to deactivate the software. Reinstalling and signing in works fine, uninstalling while still signed in apparently works fine.

My license management page on my S3D product account indicates that I have an activated copy regardless of installation status.

When I try to install v5.0.1, first I get a Microsoft Defender SmartScreen warning about an unknown publisher. Then it installs, the program starts, and it crashes after a couple of seconds. Uninstalling always throws an error about failing to deactivate the license, then I have to restart my computer to finish uninstalling. (I have to restart? What is this, 2005?)

I can reinstall and run v5.0.0 after this, so there's no issue with the license itself.

S3D-Alex, S3D-Jason, has anything changed in the security and authentication between v5.0.0 and v5.0.1? My corporate firewall is a bit of a PITA, so I would like to know if the version introduced new network traffic.
pcamera123

Same issue doesn't look like it's a firewall issue, I have an on-net ethernet link and off-net wifi. Tried both no policy is on the wireless side and the same thing happened
S3D-Jason

I do not believe anything has changed in regards to the authentication for V5.0.0 compared to V5.0.1.

Can you let us know which exact anti-virus or security programs you have installed? We have one other users that experienced this issue, and they eventually confirmed it was due to their anti-virus software doing some kind of quarantine with the application when it opened. Once they added the software as an exception the problem went away.
Brit

I have contacted support for a week on my copy crashing with the error "simplify 3d failed to activate the software. the software will now exit". They said that there were problems, but they failed after several back-and-forth emails to come up with a solution. I want a refund and to return to version 4 which worked fine.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”