DrD

Auto-configure categories. What are they?

Just as the title says.... What are auto-configure categories and how do we use them?

@S3D Team: Do you folks have any documentation/tutorials/FAQs on this feature and how it works? I browsed
the FAQ and other informational sections of this site and couldn't find any info on it.

Thanks in advance.

D.
You don't know what you don't know until you know (my philosophy for continued learning).
Thomasengelmann

Re: Auto-configure categories. What are they?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7pb9d1oi99e2 ... c.fff?dl=0

Import this profile and take a look, i used them a lot.
When you change layer heights for example look at the other layer options that change with the highest
Igmus

DrD wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:39 pm Just as the title says.... What are auto-configure categories and how do we use them?

@S3D Team: Do you folks have any documentation/tutorials/FAQs on this feature and how it works? I browsed
the FAQ and other informational sections of this site and couldn't find any info on it.

Thanks in advance.

D.
Auto Config Categories are like the Auto Config for Material and Auto Config for Quality. Those auto config categories have presets for Material (PLA, ABS, PVA, Nyon) and Quality (Fast, Medium, High) By default each preset is tied to a setting. When you choose a preset, for example Quality High, the layer height is adjusted to .1mm, Medium it gets set to .2mm, Fast it gets set to .3mm.

The config categories allow you to tie settings to a configuration preset. For example I have a Auto-Config for Extruder and when I change the nozzle from .4 to .6 I have Nozzle Diameter, Extrusion Multiplier, Extrusion Width Mode, Extrusion Width, Use Retraction, Retract Distance, Extra Restart, Distance, Retract Vertical Life, Retract Speed, Coast at End, and Coasting Distance set to that Category. I then make an "Option" by clicking the "..." below the Auto-Configure for Extruder category that I created. I name the option .4 and another option .6. I change the settings so they match the .4 nozzle then click update profile. Then I change it to the .6 option and then change the settings to match the .6 nozzle and then click update profile.

To change back to .4 nozzle settings. I just choose the .4 option under the Auto-Configure for Extruder category and all the settings tied to that category that I had saved for .4 nozzle gets changed from the .6 that I had entered. To change back to .6 I just choose from the drop down menu .6 and all the settings I saved for .6 will load into the settings I bound to the Extruder category. You can choose what settings each category controls by clicking the "..." to the right of "Save as New..." and then "Assign Settings to Categories" and choosing what settings get controlled by what categories.

Have fun making presets. I already have one for Infill Percentage and Extruder. I could probably make one for Strength and tie it to Outline Perimeters and Top Solid Layers and Bottom Solid Layers.
DrD

Thomasengelmann wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:40 am https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7pb9d1oi99e2 ... c.fff?dl=0

Import this profile and take a look, i used them a lot.
When you change layer heights for example look at the other layer options that change with the highest
Thanks for the FFF profile... I'm looking through it, right now. If I have any questions, I'll be sure to ask. :D
You don't know what you don't know until you know (my philosophy for continued learning).
DrD

Igmus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:36 pm
DrD wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:39 pm Just as the title says.... What are auto-configure categories and how do we use them?

Thanks in advance.

D.
Auto Config Categories are like the Auto Config for Material and Auto Config for Quality. Those auto config categories have presets for Material (PLA, ABS, PVA, Nyon) and Quality (Fast, Medium, High) By default each preset is tied to a setting. When you choose a preset, for example Quality High, the layer height is adjusted to .1mm, Medium it gets set to .2mm, Fast it gets set to .3mm.

The config categories allow you to tie settings to a configuration preset. For example I have a Auto-Config for Extruder and when I change the nozzle from .4 to .6 I have Nozzle Diameter, Extrusion Multiplier, Extrusion Width Mode, Extrusion Width, Use Retraction, Retract Distance, Extra Restart, Distance, Retract Vertical Life, Retract Speed, Coast at End, and Coasting Distance set to that Category. I then make an "Option" by clicking the "..." below the Auto-Configure for Extruder category that I created. I name the option .4 and another option .6. I change the settings so they match the .4 nozzle then click update profile. Then I change it to the .6 option and then change the settings to match the .6 nozzle and then click update profile.

To change back to .4 nozzle settings. I just choose the .4 option under the Auto-Configure for Extruder category and all the settings tied to that category that I had saved for .4 nozzle gets changed from the .6 that I had entered. To change back to .6 I just choose from the drop down menu .6 and all the settings I saved for .6 will load into the settings I bound to the Extruder category. You can choose what settings each category controls by clicking the "..." to the right of "Save as New..." and then "Assign Settings to Categories" and choosing what settings get controlled by what categories.

Have fun making presets. I already have one for Infill Percentage and Extruder. I could probably make one for Strength and tie it to Outline Perimeters and Top Solid Layers and Bottom Solid Layers.

That sounds really awesome (and something that I DEFINITELY could use in my workflow).

Thanks for the in-depth explanation. Now, I need to "experiment" with the feature and see how much I can "bend" it... hehe ;)
DrD

I'm really enjoying the Auto-Configure categories. I've set up my Ender 3 profile (running Klipper)
and I've got it all set up and ready to go.

If anyone's curious, see attached FFF profile for the details.

Many thanks once again to @Thomasengelmann & @Igmus for pointing me in the right direction. :D
Attachments
Creality Ender 3 (Klipper).fff
(30.95 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
S3D-Jason

The fact that you can add your own custom categories in V5 is definitely a big improvement. In V4 you could only use the stock Material or Quality categories. Now you can add any category you want then use the "Assign settings to categories" option to choose which settings will be changed by that selection.

We print a lot of customer parts in our office, and we know certain types of parts need different settings. For example, very small and delicate parts, or very large parts that would take a long time to print. I frequently add those as auto-configure options and then it will change 5 or so settings automatically when I choose that type.
DrD

S3D-Jason wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:35 pm The fact that you can add your own custom categories in V5 is definitely a big improvement. In V4 you could only use the stock Material or Quality categories. Now you can add any category you want then use the "Assign settings to categories" option to choose which settings will be changed by that selection.

We print a lot of customer parts in our office, and we know certain types of parts need different settings. For example, very small and delicate parts, or very large parts that would take a long time to print. I frequently add those as auto-configure options and then it will change 5 or so settings automatically when I choose that type.
I can really see where this feature "shines". I've already printed several parts using the auto-configure categories and it's awesome.

Kudos to the Dev Team on this one!!! (I'll be one the rare ones to offer praise where praise is due, hehehe). :D :D :D

Thanks,

D.
RoboDLC

DrD wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:30 pm
S3D-Jason wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:35 pm The fact that you can add your own custom categories in V5 is definitely a big improvement. In V4 you could only use the stock Material or Quality categories. Now you can add any category you want then use the "Assign settings to categories" option to choose which settings will be changed by that selection.

I can really see where this feature "shines". I've already printed several parts using the auto-configure categories and it's awesome.

Kudos to the Dev Team on this one!!! (I'll be one the rare ones to offer praise where praise is due, hehehe). :D :D :D

Thanks,

D.
That IS handy. You really need to document this stuff. There is no way to know what you don't know. I had no idea what that was.

be well,
DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
S3D-Jason

Agreed - I think this would be a great item for a future tutorial.

We actually did just publish a new article today, so there's definitely ongoing progress.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”