jenkins007

New Version Naming Convention

Can you please have new versions using the same name, e.g. Simplify3D? That way we have the opportunity to replace of to keep both, but the replacement option makes installing SO much easier. Otherwise I have to go a delete the old versions, remove the dock icon, then add the new version to the dock

Most other apps that I use replace and there is no issue with the dock icon or having to manually delete the old version.

If someone wants to keep the old version (and I don't know why...) that can choose to keep both when copying the new version to the application folder. They could also use a backup in case they missed something to go back and Apple has the better copying as Time Machine asks if you want to keep both or replace.
S3D-Jason

Re: New Version Naming Convention

Maybe it would be useful to have an option in the installer to uninstall all prior versions first. However, you can always just run uninstall.app in the folder for any old versions you want to remove. For example, if you want to get rid of V5.0.0, just run /Applications/Simplify3D-5.0.0/uninstall.app.
RoboDLC

S3D-Jason wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:37 pm Maybe it would be useful to have an option in the installer to uninstall all prior versions first. However, you can always just run uninstall.app in the folder for any old versions you want to remove. For example, if you want to get rid of V5.0.0, just run /Applications/Simplify3D-5.0.0/uninstall.app.
While we are at it... I notice that S3D no longer installs into the Start menu. I had to rename the desktop icon and pint THAT to the start menu. I keep other version around for when an upgrade, isn't. So I can go back to the previous version until the gaffe is fixed. So, I like having the links define exactly the version number.

be well,
DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
S3D-Jason

If we named each shortcut Simplify3D-5.0.0.shortcut or something, wouldn't that mean that if you had 5 versions of the software installed, there would be 5 separate shortcuts? I'm unsure if that would be preferred or not. Right now the latest version just overrides the original single shortcut so that the shortcut remains in the same place and you are always launching the latest version.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”