peteryipdesign

Multiple Printer print volume not changing

I have set up 2 printer in simplify3d v5.0.1, one of which does 125x125mm and the other one does 250x250mm

in the older version the print volume would update when you double click on a certain print setting, however in v5.0.1 it doesnt update the print volume anymore. It kind of only does when I remove all the print setting and add a new one from fresh.
S3D-Jason

Re: Multiple Printer print volume not changing

Are you talking about profiles or processes? You should typically only need a single process in your workspace. You can then double-click on that process and select your printer settings from the "Select profile" drop down list.

All of the profile settings are already saved permanently in the S3D profile database, so you don't need to include a separate process for each one. For example, if you delete all of your processes and then add a single new process, you will see all of your profiles are still available in the "Select profile" drop down list.
Nyles

I just downloaded 5.0.1, and it still doesn't show the correct build volume. This gives me low confidence that the tool paths are actually where they're supposed to be.
zendesigner

i have exactly the same issue, and this helpdesk keeps whining about the difference between a process and a profile..

I've been a customer since 2016 at least. WHEN SWITCHING PRINTER PROFILES, THE MAIN BUILD PLATE VIEW DOES NOT CHANGE TO THE NEWLY SELECTED PRINTER PROFILE !!!

Can you please fix it!!!

Zen
zendesigner

so why don't you fix it like it is working in V4 ?

SO now i have 6 printers, i always need to delete all the processes ,, make a new one,, make an stl, Throw away the process again, make a new one..

DO you understand how ridiculous that is ??

If you won't fix it , i need a refund cause then your V5 version just makes my workload *3 at least, and your version is not worth it.
None of these "new features" is worth that.

an unhappy long term customer
S3D-Jason

You don't need to delete all the processes each time.

All I'm suggesting is that if you have 6 processes right now, can you can delete all of them except for 1. Then anytime in the future when you want to change settings just click Edit Process Settings and select your printer from the Select Profile dropdown. There's no need to add or remove processes, you just pick it in the dropdown.
MvM

S3D-Jason wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:56 am Are you talking about profiles or processes? You should typically only need a single process in your workspace. You can then double-click on that process and select your printer settings from the "Select profile" drop down list.

All of the profile settings are already saved permanently in the S3D profile database, so you don't need to include a separate process for each one. For example, if you delete all of your processes and then add a single new process, you will see all of your profiles are still available in the "Select profile" drop down list.
Sorry, but I strongly have to disagree on this.
If I want (or need) to print multiple parts on the same printer but want to print each separately from the other, I will need a process for each printer.
Also, simply selecting a profile for a specific printer would mean I would need to create a profile for every printer and every material used on that printer.
It is much more convenient to have a list of processes, each setup for a particular printer and specific material and simply select the process to be used for a particular job.
If you have a reasonable number of printers (I use 12 printers and 8 different types), managed all those with just a single process would be unnecessarily time consuming.
S3D-Jason

The software is designed so that the processes represent what you want to print on that given machine. It really doesn't make sense to have multiple processes for different printers in the same workspace. That's not how it was designed.

Lots of the tools in the software like the Variable Settings Wizard or Dual Extrusion Wizard will automatically create different process for your print, but they are all based on the assumption that you are using the included profile database. If you don't use the profile database, you lose out on many of the features that are already included in the software.

Thankfully, it's easy to go from processes to profiles. Just double click on the process and choose "Save as New". That will add the settings for that process into the profile database.
MvM

S3D-Jason wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:52 pm The software is designed so that the processes represent what you want to print on that given machine. It really doesn't make sense to have multiple processes for different printers in the same workspace. That's not how it was designed.

Lots of the tools in the software like the Variable Settings Wizard or Dual Extrusion Wizard will automatically create different process for your print, but they are all based on the assumption that you are using the included profile database. If you don't use the profile database, you lose out on many of the features that are already included in the software.

Thankfully, it's easy to go from processes to profiles. Just double click on the process and choose "Save as New". That will add the settings for that process into the profile database.
I again strongly disagree with you.
Why can this be working like it did in Version 4? It used to work perfectly.

Like I mentioned before, I have many different types of printers. I used to be able to simply select the process I needed, slice the model, save the printfile and move on to the next printjob.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”