DrD

Re: v5.xx slicing Issues. Madness continues!!

KOPrinting wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:45 pm
parallyze wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:47 pm

That's not really what he wants. He wants it to be printed with the outer shell only, like he's
shown in PS:

I can't get this model to print that way in V 4 as well. Curious what his settings in V4 are that allow him to do that.

Same, I couldn't make it work in v4.1.2, either. Now I'm really curious as well.

D.
You don't know what you don't know until you know (my philosophy for continued learning).
parallyze

KOPrinting wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:45 pm I can't get this model to print that way in V 4 as well. Curious what his settings in V4 are that allow him to do that.
DrD wrote: Same, I couldn't make it work in v4.1.2, either. Now I'm really curious as well.
If you're interested in how quirky this behavior can be, a few simple boxes is all it takes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBYvI0YeYyc

About the original post... I'm not sure, but for some reason I think he never minded the
"double D shape" v4.1.2 will slice this in. Or never really noticed until a part was missing. But
I'm having a very hard time as well thinking this was printed using 4.1.2 and the outer shells only,
giving one single piece instead of two fused together at their back.
Or he might have been incredibly lucky by placing it in a position/orientation where it did slice as
expected...

Speaking of it... still have 4.0.0 installed, which handled these cases a bit different. But I'm unable
to get a proper single shell slice on that one as well.

Oh, and no. It's not only S3D. Cura is irritated by these models as well, more or less depending
on certain settings, just like PS.

cura.JPG
DrD

parallyze wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:36 pm
KOPrinting wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:45 pm I can't get this model to print that way in V 4 as well. Curious what his settings in V4 are that allow him to do that.
DrD wrote: Same, I couldn't make it work in v4.1.2, either. Now I'm really curious as well.
If you're interested in how quirky this behavior can be, a few simple boxes is all it takes:

About the original post... I'm not sure, but for some reason I think he never minded the
"double D shape" v4.1.2 will slice this in. Or never really noticed until a part was missing. But
I'm having a very hard time as well thinking this was printed using 4.1.2 and the outer shells only,
Or he might have been incredibly lucky by placing it in a position/orientation where it did slice as
expected...

Speaking of it... still have 4.0.0 installed, which handled these cases a bit different. But I'm unable

Oh, and no. It's not only S3D. Cura is irritated by these models as well, more or less depending

cura.JPG
That's truly a most odd behaviour, in general. I've learned something new today and for that, I thank you. :)
You don't know what you don't know until you know (my philosophy for continued learning).
RetroDesign3D

I was getting some strange slicing behavior too.. and Ive not read all your posts in this topic yet, so please forgive me if this is not helpful. But for me I found the best healing settings to be.

Thicken invalid segments + Alternating fill in the advanced tab.
KOPrinting

parallyze wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:36 pm

expected...

cura.JPG
That's pretty neat. Thanks for the video.
bolsoncerrado

KOPrinting wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:39 am
bolsoncerrado wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:50 am Here's the "offending" file...
Under the advanced tab, try changing the Slicing Region Repair mode to Merge all Boundaries.
That did the trick, THANKS!

I mean, the "hole" is gone but the seam lines at each side are still present and ugly.

I also tried the THICKEN+ALTERNATE combo someone mentioned above but the resutls are the same.

ONLY Prusaslicer did the best job here.
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2023-02-10 a las 11.20.03.png
parallyze

bolsoncerrado wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:19 am ONLY Prusaslicer did the best job here.
All slicers did well - when used with a proper model file. Just because the default mesh error handling of PS does work
better in this one case it doesn't mean that's the perfect solution.

Here... this is a very simple part:
ps_a.JPG

A 27x7 grid. Because there's no relevant forces applied later on I did cut the cells "open" using a
very thin 0.01mm cut.

This is what S3D vs. PS slice using their default settings:
ps_1.JPG

This is PS after setting gap radius to 0.
ps_2.JPG

So you're now really trying to tell me it is better when a slicer ignores small details in a proper model
file, adding more than 4500 unnecessary retracts and a lot of travel moves...?
bolsoncerrado wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:04 am My suggestion is you update the software and fix those damn bugs. I'll attach the file in a couple hours. :(
My suggestion: Fix your models. Especially if its easy geometry. Someone in this thread even provided you a fixed version.
parallyze

parallyze wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:43 am A 27x7 grid. Because there's no relevant forces applied later on I did cut the cells "open" using a
very thin 0.01mm cut.
Part file attached for reference, didn't fit the 3 files limit of the previous post.
Attachments
LMGv1-27x7-Diff_Grid.stl
(157.11 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
parallyze

bolsoncerrado wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:19 am I mean, the "hole" is gone but the seam lines at each side are still present and ugly.
And as said... it's a thing of settings. This is your STL in S3D (4.1.2).
s3d.JPG

Cheers!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”