bolsoncerrado

Re: v5.xx slicing Issues. Madness continues!!

My suggestion is you update the software and fix those damn bugs. I'll attach the file in a couple hours. :(
bolsoncerrado

Here's the "offending" file...
Attachments
weirdprint.stl
(56.04 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
parallyze

bolsoncerrado wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:50 am Here's the "offending" file...
Hmm... 2 shells with 0 distance? This looks like something they've introduced with 4.1.1...

Got this from support on May, 24th 2019:
"We've documented this so that we can track the behavior with models imported with coplanar surfaces. As this is not technically a valid mesh, it's behavior is usually not considered, since the slicing engine expects a valid mesh. I would strongly recommend taking steps to make sure that your models are a single, manifold model on exporting from your CAM software. "
I sometimes imported assemblies from CAD with seperate bodies touching each other (not intersecting), starting from 4.1.1 the models had to be merged into a single body.

But to be fair here - it is tricky. PS doesn't handle this completely flawless in all cases:
ps_coplanar.JPG
It does slice in your case because you likely have the default setting for slicing gap radius set
to something > 0.
ps_coplanar_b.JPG
Using defaults does work:
ps_coplanar_c.JPG
...but only because PS is now completely ignoring the "zero space" gap between your parts where two parts end.

I often include very tiny cuts to geometry to speed things up/use vase mode, without reducing the slicing
gap radius (same for Cura) those slicers will handle a flawless file wrong and increase print times immensely.

As always, depends on what you need and how clean your model files are.
KOPrinting

bolsoncerrado wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:50 am Here's the "offending" file...
Under the advanced tab, try changing the Slicing Region Repair mode to Merge all Boundaries.
parallyze

kaween wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:43 am STL is flawless (manifold, zero errors according to our Materialise Magics software - same info is given by Ideamaker, Netfabb, Microsoft's various 3D tools and _even_ S3D_ can't find anything wrong withe the stl)
A flawless STL file including multiple volumes should be splittable as well. Tried it on bolsoncerrado's STL, no matter
which program - they all fail seperating the two shells again. Blender, MeshMixer, S3D, PS, ideaMaker...

I'd check that file, quite quirky behavior for such a simple geometry.
bl.JPG
im.JPG
DrD

Using the provided STL, It does slice correctly.

Weird STL sliced correctly.PNG

The key is to change the following setting in the "Advanced" tab.

Weird STL slicing settings.png

Not intuitive, I know. It's a setting that most of us don't use very often.

D.
You don't know what you don't know until you know (my philosophy for continued learning).
parallyze

DrD wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:31 pm Using the provided STL, It does slice correctly.
That's not really what he wants. He wants it to be printed with the outer shell only, like he's
shown in PS:
Captura de pantalla 2023-01-31 a las 9.49.57.png
The halves merged inside the STL aren't merged properly, that's what's causing these troubles.

If what he has shown in PS is what he wants the "2 shells" indicator should've already raised
an eyebrow.
billyd

I've attached a corrected version of the stl that will slice on anything.
Attachments
weirdprint_corrected.STL
(22.15 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
DrD

parallyze wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:47 pm
DrD wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:31 pm Using the provided STL, It does slice correctly.

That's not really what he wants. He wants it to be printed with the outer shell only, like he's
shown in PS:

Captura de pantalla 2023-01-31 a las 9.49.57.png

The halves merged inside the STL aren't merged properly, that's what's causing these troubles.

If what he has shown in PS is what he wants the "2 shells" indicator should've already raised
an eyebrow.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for pointing that out.

D.
You don't know what you don't know until you know (my philosophy for continued learning).
KOPrinting

parallyze wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:47 pm

shown in PS:

I can't get this model to print that way in V 4 as well. Curious what his settings in V4 are that allow him to do that.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”