Vprints

[SOLVED] V5 won't run as a normal user on Fedora 37

I'm on Fedora 37. Version 4.1.2 still works fine as a 'normal' user. Version 5.0.0 worked as a normal user for a while, but then -- for reasons I have yet to figure out -- decided to switch to only running as root a few weeks ago.

Version 5.0.1 has *never* been able to run as anything but root.

Things I've tried:
1) Uninstalling both 5.0.0 and 5.0.1 versions -- to include removing the ~/.config/Simplify3d-v5.conf file
2) Installing 5.0.1 from scratch, per the instructions for 5.0.0 at viewtopic.php?p=64073&hilit=ubuntu#p64073
3) re-running the AddUserPermisions.sh script
4) ensuring the file permissions for the .conf and .desktop files under ~/.config and ~/.local/share/applications/ match those for the V4 files
5) changing ownership for /opt/Simplify3D-5.0.1 and everything under it to myself/my group (as suggested by someone else in the Ubuntu thread above).

I've ensured I'm in the dialout group.

v5.0.1 will run just fine *as root,* but as my 'normal' user account I get the "Failed to activate software. The software will now exit" pop-up. The software does show up as licensed to this computer under my account when I log into simplify3d.com (once I've run it as root.)

I'm open to suggestions. (No other end-user software on this computer insists I run it as root.)
S3D-Jason

Re: V5 won't run as a normal user on Fedora 37

I know we already have S3D installed on several Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, etc distros, but in all those cases we have always been able to run the software as a regular user without issues. We know there's been a few users that have seen this, but the stock permission settings we have on our machines don't seem to be able to reproduce it.

That being said, this user posted another method that seemed to work for them:
viewtopic.php?p=63998#p63998

Can you try those steps and see if it works?
Vprints

Re: V5 won't run as a normal user on Fedora 37

Success!

I didn't delete the files in $HOME first, so it asked me if I wanted to overwrite them -- I said 'y' for S3D-Software-V5.conf.

Hopefully that'll help you troubleshoot the cause.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”