jaspernp

Simplfy3D 5.0.1 reboots ender3 when printing a slice with 12 sequential models, too much meta data at start of the file

Recently purchased and upgrade 2 licenses for S3D 5 and running 5.0.1 now

I have found that when I re slice and try to print one of my original factory files that has 12 models printed sequentially through SD card my printer reboots as soon as I select the file.

The S3D 5 sliced file generates 3000+ lines of meta data at the start of the file (commented out slicer settings)
Comparing to my saved S3D 4 slices of the same file it will generate only around 200 lines!

Looking through that 3000+ lines of slicer settings I can see that not only does S3D have a lot more meta data, the entire list of slicer settings are repeated for every model that's going to be printed!

If I delete 1000 lines of this meta data from the start of the file before printing it works fine.

This tells me the printer is running up against a memory or buffer limit and crashing while searching for the start of the GCODE

S3D Team, please comment on this and explain how to either reduce the meta data being added to the GCODE file to prevent the crashing on ender3s or offer a software update to fix this!

S3D-Jason

Re: Simplfy3D 5.0.1 reboots ender3 when printing a slice with 12 sequential models, too much meta data at start of the

Yes, the settings will include everything you need to reproduce the print. If you have 3 separate processes that have all sorts of different settings changes we write all of those values into the header. I have never heard to a printer that crashed just from readings comments before, so perhaps that should be reported as a bug to the firmware? Usually the machines just skip over comment lines and wait until they find G code or M code lines to perform an action.

That being said, you can easily remove all of these comments by adding the following line to Edit Process Settings > Scripts > Post Processing:

{STRIP "; "}

That will shorten the comments to only about 3 lines instead of 1000.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”