studiokite

V5 no longer allows ctrl and alt shortcut to rotate and move

So I dont have to manually use the QWER shortcuts or the bar at the side I was able to quickly move and rotate the model.

Can this be added back again as it is much faster when working with models.
jerryjs8

Re: V5 no longer allows ctrl and alt shortcut to rotate and move

+1

I'd also like to have these ctrl and alt shortcuts restored :D

I was hoping to be able to finde them in keyboard shortcut editor, but alas, they were nowhere to be found.
studiokite

To be honest I dont really use v5 as too many features are now removed. The whole workflow is a pain. I will try again v5.02
okiespy

Echoing this so maybe the developers will see this.
S3D-Jason

The shortcuts are different now in V5. If you want to move a model just press 'W' once on the keyboard and then move it with your mouse. You can move the model as much as you want and then just press 'Q' when you are finished.

In V4 you had to hold Ctrl every time you wanted to move the part, which meant pressing it 10 times if you wanted to make several small adjustments in a row.

You can follow the same process for scaling with the 'E' key, or rotate with the 'R' key.
studiokite

Yes you can do that on v4 too. Often I will quickly move and rotate parts. Change angle of view etc. So yes ill press ctrl more than ten times in a few seconds happily.
nicebam

I would also like to be able to use the ctrl key.
adikted2astro

DEVELOPERS!!!!! BRING BACK CTRL+CLICK TO MOVE THE MODELS ON THE BED.....PLEASE!!!

I like version 5 quite a bit but please bring that feature back. It was easy to do and I don't care if I have to ctrl-click a hundred times on a model, it's way easier to do than use QW, or have to stop and press the icon at the bottom of the screen; these methods are super annoying.

Honestly, whoever made the decision to get rid of ctrl-click needs to have their head examined. Harsh but true....

-P
rtheil

I would also like to see the ctrl key returned. I can't stand having to switch tools every single time. So much more convenient to hold ctrl, move, then release and rotate a little to examine, then ctrl to move a tad more. Hate the new control scheme, and despite having bought 5.0 the day it came out, I've never once used it for a print. I still use 4.x.
jmunkki

I think ideally 3D navigation would be so configurable that you could make it match whatever 3D CAD software you are using and whatever settings you are using in that software. So in my case, that would be Fusion 360 etc. I still find it jarring to use V5 even though the V4 binds are quite different from what I use in Fusion 360.

I use V5 for the potential quality improvements, but even there I'm not entirely sure if I'm getting much. I'm also unable to use the infill type I designed (a relatively simple 3-layer rotating pattern) and adjusting the infill density is also more work now that it's no longer a slider if you are using advanced settings. I find it really tempting to go back to V4...

It's great that there was an update to Simplify3D, but now is the time to address these minor things that seem to annoy old users.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”