bolsoncerrado

Re: v5.xx - Laughable auto-arrange features

Not even a single comment on this? wow
cbarry

I'll bite.
it's not at all clear what you did to get the arrangement the way it is. It looks like you manually arranged everything, selected one object, then auto-arrange and got an error. I agree it should not have given that error, but your manual arrangement looks daft Laddie.

What does it look like if you pull all the parts into a fresh instance, don't touch them, let them all be comingled until all are pulled in. Then, with all objects selected in the left pane, select auto-arrange. That's assuming they are oriented in space correctly. If not, orient so each object has the desired 'up' in fact up first. Ctl-L, point at the bottom of the thing, and click it.

Post that picture and your new expression next to it ;)

-C
arhi

bolsoncerrado wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:09 am Not even a single comment on this? wow
2D optimal filling of the space with arbitrary shapes (what is required here for auto-arrange) is one of the most complicated algorithms and the perfect one does not exist. Some do this better than others but it is something we (humans) can do fairly easy while software can't. You will always do the better arrange than the machine, with the amount of issues with 5.0.2 this one is a non-issue.

If you look at the 3D fill - it is even more complex and almost noone expect netfabb is doing it. They worked on that algorithm for decades, it is "best out there" and it is still ridiculous from time to time.
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
RetroDesign3D

Another unknown is if any objects that appear to me multiple were exported as one object.. this would create an oversized bounding box and would look like the auto arrange had failed.
bolsoncerrado

I didnt manually arrange ANYTHING.
Its NOT a single object, all sepparated entities.
gearsawe

Never found an auto arrange feature to work great even on software which is used on the $100K printers. always find myself arranging them to be more efficient.
bolsoncerrado

Old S3D versions used to work WAY better in autoarranging...

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”