jefferybond

Slicing bug on a simple part

Getting a weird artifact in the centre of a disc when slicing this very simple part in v5.0.1.

Screenshot and .3mf attached. Anybody know of a work-around?
Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 10.04.01.png
Attachments
lens_cap.3mf
(298.6 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
jefferybond

Re: Slicing bug on a simple part

And now this random layer of infill floating in space!
Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 19.28.33.png
S3D-Jason

For the first part, if you zoom in very closely there is actually a very small hole modeled into the center of the cap. I'm not sure why someone wanted a hole cut through the cap, but it's definitely there in the 3D model. That's why you are seeing it included in each layer of the slice. It is just honoring the original 3D model.

For the 2nd part, post the 3D model file and it will be easier to give suggestions.
jefferybond

I've attached the .3mf file for the case where I get the random layer of infill floating in space.

For my first example, the disc is the result of a 'revolve' operation in F360, so there should not really be a hole in it. This may be an F360 bug or even an error in the revolved profile in the sketch, but the same file sliced in Cura does not show the issue.

Both my problems went away when I reverted to S3D v4.1.2 by the way.
Attachments
lens_hood broken_s3dv5.3mf
(1.89 MiB) Downloaded 21 times
parallyze

jefferybond wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:27 am For my first example, the disc is the result of a 'revolve' operation in F360, so there should not really be a hole in it.
This also can happen when the shape of the revolve operation isn't aligned properly to the axis to revolve around,
maybe it did snap to another feature/geometry you had visible and it's just a tiny bit off to the axis?
revolve_1.JPG
It's not really visible in CAD if the gap is small enough....
revolve_2.PNG
revolve_2.PNG (2.67 KiB) Viewed 321 times
...only 0.002mm in this case.

Can't say anything about the other thing, though. No v5 here.
S3D-Jason

There is definitely a hole in the center of the part. If you zoom in really closely on the center of the STL file you can see it plain as day. So I would say V5 is handling that correctly by adding perimeters around the tiny hole. The suggestion above about checking the alignment of the sketch in CAD with the revolve axis is a good one.

For the 2nd part, I sliced it with several of my profiles and a bunch of different settings, but I was never able to make the extra infill appear. Maybe you can post the factory file instead which includes your settings?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”