HabaaZ

Powerspec Ultra 2.0 vs Simplify 3d 5.0

My Powerspec Ultra 2.0 worked just fine with the previous version of S3D... Now it doesn't. I am a casual user and do not have acute technical knowledge of the inner workings/codes to make things work. I rely on the software and my ability to learn. However, that said I cannot get the printer to work successfully with S3D 5 and I cannot go back to version 4 because you cant install the previous version without releasing the license on the new one even though I purchased both.

Anyone out there with a PS Ultra 2.0 able to make S3D v5 work with it?
DrD

Re: Powerspec Ultra 2.0 vs Simplify 3d 5.0

If I remember correctly, the Powerspec Ultra 2.0 is a direct clone of FlashForge's Creator Pro (and Dreamer) printers.

Those printers use binary-encoded GCODE (.x3g format). In S3D v5, add a process to your workspace and make sure that
the correct flavour of GCODE is selected for output. Once that's selected, save & update your printer's profile.

GCODE flavour select S3d.png

That would be the first place that I'd have a peek.

A couple of other questions have come to mind...

1) Were you exclusively using S3D v4 to do all of your slicing for 3D printing? or using another slicer as well? (i.e. PrusaSlicer, Cura, etc...)

2) Have you tried to use v5's Migration Assistant? (located in the Help menu). That will pull in your settings/profiles from v4 directly.

D.
You don't know what you don't know until you know (my philosophy for continued learning).
S3D-Jason

Another easy suggestion would be going to Help > Configuration Assistant, and typing "Powerspec Ultra" to re-download our recommended settings. The original Ultra and the Ultra 2.0 use the same profile.
HabaaZ

@DRD

Thank you for such a fast response. I have used Cura in the past but I use S3D for all my printing. I did notice that by default it did not select .gcode so I switched it before trying it the first time. This PC is a new build and I went with SSD instead of older hard drives so it was a clean install. Today, I did hook up the old hard drive via SATA and tried the migration assistant but it didn't work and there are zero options for directing it to the drive/directory S3D v4 was installed in. I even tried to run v4 and found I couldn't because you can have only one instance of S3D ever and I didn't feel like going through the hassle of releasing v5.

@ S3d-Jason

Thank you for the fast response too. I did indeed use the configuration assistant the first time and it is what I tried to use on the first print but got the error message "print file content error" on the printer after the bed and nozzle heated up.

I have 2 printers 1)Anicubic Chiron and 2) Powerspec Ultra 2.0. in version 4 I could switch between them effortlessly. But with v5 I have no idea how to do that and I'm forced to use the config wizard that creates another profile every time I run it. I tried to export / import printer profiles but it doesn't change the bed on the screen. Its like S3D v5 is limited to one single printer and any changes forces you to go through the selection process all over again which creates another profile. This is very frustrating.

* If you're curious I did run another print from v4 that I kept on the SD card and it worked just fine.
Also, Anicubic chiron did run fine the first time but being unable to switch between printers is a big negative for me.

Any other suggestions by chance? considering pursuing a refund but I'd rather not.
jfkansas

Mechanically it is a clone, however the ultra/2.0 used the LCD panel that consumes gcode files.
DrD wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:13 am If I remember correctly, the Powerspec Ultra 2.0 is a direct clone of FlashForge's Creator Pro (and Dreamer) printers.

Those printers use binary-encoded GCODE (.x3g format). In S3D v5, add a process to your workspace and make sure that
the correct flavour of GCODE is selected for output. Once that's selected, save & update your printer's profile.

GCODE flavour select S3d.png

That would be the first place that I'd have a peek.

A couple of other questions have come to mind...

1) Were you exclusively using S3D v4 to do all of your slicing for 3D printing? or using another slicer as well? (i.e. PrusaSlicer, Cura, etc...)

2) Have you tried to use v5's Migration Assistant? (located in the Help menu). That will pull in your settings/profiles from v4 directly.

D.
S3D-Jason

Have you tried running a V5 print from the SD card?

For switching profiles, you don't need to use the configuration assistant at all. Just click Edit Process Settings and then change the "Select profile" option at the top to select your machine.
ampster

HabaaZ wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:23 am However, that said I cannot get the printer to work successfully with S3D 5 and I cannot go back to version 4 because you cant install the previous version without releasing the license on the new one even though I purchased both.
Don't believe I missed a reply from anybody but that isn't true.

You can use both 4 and 5 at the same time. No need to release v5 unless you want to install that somewhere else.
Last edited by ampster on Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
OneZ I3
CR-10S "Trailer Maker"
CR-10S "Black Betty"
Ender 5 Pro "Ginger"
Ender 5 Plus "Wilson"
P1P "Pooper"
K1 Max "Max"

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”