S3D-Jason

Re: Infill Type Question.

I think there's already another thread discussing the gyroid issue here:
viewtopic.php?t=17033

Short answers is that gyroid is typically used with low infill percentages. If you use too high of a infill percentages for gyroid with extremely large parts, it creates files that are several gigabytes in size and are too big to preview in any application.
wirlybird

S3D-Jason wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:10 am I think there's already another thread discussing the gyroid issue here:
viewtopic.php?t=17033

Short answers is that gyroid is typically used with low infill percentages. If you use too high of a infill percentages for gyroid with extremely large parts, it creates files that are several gigabytes in size and are too big to preview in any application.
I can't even slice it at 30%.
I can slice at 65% in Cura and it displays fine.
S3D-Jason

I think the problem is usually previewing, not slicing. Go to Tools > Options and disable the "automatically load preview after slicing" option. I bet even at 70% the file will still export. However, if that exported file is 2+ GB I doubt it will be able to be fully previewed, even on a very high end GPU. That's just too many movements.

I said it on the other thread, but using patterns like gyroid at this high of infill percentages is really just a recipe for problems. It creates far too many movements and absolutely massive gcode files. Would be better using other patterns that aren't creating such detailed curves.
wirlybird

S3D-Jason wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:22 am I think the problem is usually previewing, not slicing. Go to Tools > Options and disable the "automatically load preview after slicing" option. I bet even at 70% the file will still export. However, if that exported file is 2+ GB I doubt it will be able to be fully previewed, even on a very high end GPU. That's just too many movements.

I said it on the other thread, but using patterns like gyroid at this high of infill percentages is really just a recipe for problems. It creates far too many movements and absolutely massive gcode files. Would be better using other patterns that aren't creating such detailed curves.
The whole point is I need to be able to see what the resulting infill looks like. I can't just blindly slice and send to print.
Also, "other" patterns are causing issues with large TPU prints such as the infill contacting while cooling that is causing the edges of the part to lift from the bed. We have studied this and infills such as rectilinear which have long, straight runs that connect directly to the walls are the worst offenders under these conditions.
I am not making arbitrary parts here and just throwing large infill percents at it for fun.
I am making prototype parts that the customers engineers have designed and send to me with specific instructions for settings.
I am required to send them cross-section pictures of the sliced part at various settings so they can determine what will work for their testing.
Also to complicate things we are using TPU as the material. That is why the infill is so important.
tenii9

Employ three to four shells as well; the walls are less prone to warp the stiffer they are. The infill ext width and percent can also be changed. Reduce the infill ext width to about 75%, then change the infill percentage to reach the desired amount. The infill walls should be more flexible and thinner than the shell walls as a result.
wirlybird

tenii9 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:36 am Employ three to four shells as well; the walls are less prone to warp the stiffer they are. The infill ext width and percent can also be changed. Reduce the infill ext width to about 75%, then change the infill percentage to reach the desired amount. The infill walls should be more flexible and thinner than the shell walls as a result.
Interesting idea on the infill extrusion width.
tenii9

The short explanation is that low infill percentages are often employed with gyroid. Gyroid produces files that are several gigabytes in size and are too huge to preview in any programme if the infill percentage is set to a value that is too high while working with really large sections.
wirlybird

tenii9 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:28 am The short explanation is that low infill percentages are often employed with gyroid. Gyroid produces files that are several gigabytes in size and are too huge to preview in any programme if the infill percentage is set to a value that is too high while working with really large sections.
Cura has no problem slicing and displaying at 75% infill using Gyroid.
Same part and settings, aside from infill, in S3D and it won't display when at 26% infill.
I don't care to use Cura but I also do not like sending a part to print without being able to preview it first.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”