wirlybird

Infill Type Question.

Doing a large part, 300X200X100, basically it is like a large rectangular box.
I am wondering what infill pattern will be the least likely to exert pulling forces on the sides and ends of the box while it is cooling and contracting. These forces tend to aggravate any lifting or warping of the bottom outer edges off the build plate.

The part has to be printed with a fairly high infill percent per customer directions.
arhi

Re: Infill Type Question.

gyroid is great for this because the "lines" are "wavy" and not straight so the lines will straighten a bit while cooling rather than pull the edges inwards. having extra walls will help too. cuboid is faster to print but pulls on the walls much more as lines are straight
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
jfkansas

I'd try wiggle rotated 45 degrees, see pic. If the infill shrinks the pattern should stretch out instead of pulling sides in.
Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 5.09.58 AM.jpg
Sinusoidal would be similar as the "tubes" should deform before distorting the outer shell.
Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 5.12.06 AM.jpg
Use 3-4 shells also, the stiffer the walls the less likely they are going to distort. Can also play with infill ext width and percent. Lower infill ext width to around 75% and adjust percentage of infill to get the amount you want. This should make the infill walls thinner than the shell walls and be more flexible. Decreasing infill ext width should make the infill more dense so might have to lower infill % some.

For the most part just avoid infill styles that directly connect opposite sides with a solid straight line.
wirlybird

Thanks,
I'd like to try a few of these infills but I can't get V501 to slice them. It crashes!
I have another post covering that topic.
jfkansas

Did you post the model file? or can you?
wirlybird

Here is a factory test file. The part is a representation of the actual part.
Attachments
Test1.factory
(39.19 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
wirlybird

If I scale the part to 75% and use 50% Gyroid infill this is what I get. No image even though it seems to slice.
Anything higher on infill and it just shuts S3D down.
2.jpg
DrD

wirlybird wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:40 pm If I scale the part to 75% and use 50% Gyroid infill this is what I get. No image even though it seems to slice.

2.jpg
Have you tried changing S3D's Graphics Acceleration Mode options?

S3D v5 Options.PNG

D.
You don't know what you don't know until you know (my philosophy for continued learning).
wirlybird

No, I have not looked at that. Thanks for point it out.
wirlybird

DrD wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:19 pm
wirlybird wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:40 pm If I scale the part to 75% and use 50% Gyroid infill this is what I get. No image even though it seems to slice.

2.jpg
Have you tried changing S3D's Graphics Acceleration Mode options?

S3D v5 Options.PNG

D.
Just tried all three modes and it made no difference. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”