eshane

Re: v5.0.2 crashes

parallyze wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:05 pm
eshane wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:28 pm every time before running the program. It works this way regardless of Sophos on/off/configuration. Any ideas?
In v4 this could be disabled in the General Options -> Preferences dialog, it's called "Save and restore application state",
maybe this is a workaround until somebody finds out why it keeps on crashing S3D (and if it's still included in v5)...
Thank you!!! I never realized that was an option... still there on V5 and it is a viable workaround for the moment. Thank you again!
neman

eshane wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:28 pm were trying various states and starting Simplify over and over, we noticed a message on the bottom left of the Simplify window "Importing factory file: savedState.factory..." with a green progress bar on the lower right of the Simplify window. Our IT department remembered reading something online about removing that savedState.factory file so we gave that a try and it started! That said, it creates a new savedState.factory upon closing and that starts the problem over again. The only way I can get V5.0.1/V5.0.2 to start and stay open is by deleting the savedState.factory file in the S3D-Software-V5 folder, every time before running the program. It works this way regardless of
Based on @eshane's note, I just did a fresh install of 5.0.2. The C:\Program Files\Simplify3D-5.0.2 folder had no savedState.factory file. (Neither does C:\Program Files\Simplify3D-5.0.0.) Sophos is running as per usual.

I saw the green bar and the Importing factory file: savedState.factory... message upon starting 5.0.2, which subsequently crashed after about nine seconds as usual. In my setup, there's no savedState.factory file to import, and there's no savedState.factory file to delete.

5.0.0 still loads. Importing factory file: savedState.factory... is visible for a fraction of a second. After load is complete, Successfully imported factory file with 0 models. appears in the lower left.

Uninstalling 5.0.2 again.
neman

parallyze wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:05 pm
eshane wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:28 pm every time before running the program. It works this way regardless of Sophos on/off/configuration. Any ideas?
In v4 this could be disabled in the General Options -> Preferences dialog, it's called "Save and restore application state",
maybe this is a workaround until somebody finds out why it keeps on crashing S3D (and if it's still included in v5)...
Thank you @parallyze! A workaround:
1. Start 5.0.0
2. Tools > Options > General tab
3. Disable Restore workspace on startup
4. Save and exit 5.0.0
5. Start 5.0.2
6. Celebrate it not crashing

The Restore workspace on startup option is also disabled in 5.0.2. No savedState.factory file exists in C:\Program Files\Simplify3D-5.0.2.
parallyze

neman wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:37 pm The Restore workspace on startup option is also disabled in 5.0.2. No savedState.factory file exists in C:\Program Files\Simplify3D-5.0.2.
The savedState won't be saved to the program files directory, that would require admin privileges.

The savedState used to be inside the users profile, at least up until 4.1.2:

%localappdata%\Simplify3D\S3D-Software, file savedState.factory.

In case this also hasn't changed in v5 the setting can be modified in the registry, making it possible to
use group policies to deploy the setting on multiple machines.

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Simplify3D\S3D-Software\MainOptions, REG_SZ, "saveApplicationState", set true or false
eshane

neman wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:30 pm
Based on @eshane's note, I just did a fresh install of 5.0.2. The C:\Program Files\Simplify3D-5.0.2 folder had no savedState.factory file. (Neither does C:\Program Files\Simplify3D-5.0.0.) Sophos is running as per usual.

I saw the green bar and the Importing factory file: savedState.factory... message upon starting 5.0.2, which subsequently crashed after about nine seconds as usual. In my setup, there's no savedState.factory file to import, and there's no savedState.factory file to delete.

5.0.0 still loads. Importing factory file: savedState.factory... is visible for a fraction of a second. After load is complete, Successfully imported factory file with 0 models. appears in the lower left.

Uninstalling 5.0.2 again.
Hi Neman!

Apologies, I should've clarified that the savedState.factory file I was having to remove was located in:

C:\Users\[MyUserName]\AppData\Local\Simplify3D\S3D-Software-V5\
neman

Thanks @parallyze and @eshane! Confirmed %localappdata%\Simplify3D\S3D-Software-V5\savedState.factory exists. And the problem has now shifted/refined!

1. Open 5.0.2 with settings as per earlier post.
2. Import an STL. All good.
3. Save as .factory. All good.
4. Open 5.0.2 with settings as per earlier post.
5. Open any .factory (even the one just made). After about 9 sec of "freeze" - crash.

The problem may not be about startup, but about loading .factory files.
eshane

@Neman, nice find! I can confirm the same results on my machine.

I've disabled "restore workspace on startup" and V5.0.2 is starting up, but when I import an stl, save the factory file, and then load the factory file that I just saved, it indeed freezes and crashes very similarly to the startup issue.

(In a side note, any chance you are also experiencing the issue of not being able to drag and drop stl files from explorer on to the simplify window? I get an "Error opening model with unknown file type: C:\Users\[username]\[subfolder]" and when I click okay to that error, another error "Failed to open file for reading: "C:\Program Files\Simplify3D-5.0.2\ Inc\[filename]" This could be unrelated but thought it was worth mentioning).

Again, nice find on the connection with any factory file in general, @Neman!

*EDIT: I forgot to include that I can import stl files by clicking on the import button and navigating within the file browser window that pops up. I simply cannot drag and drop stl files in any version of V5 (as I can with V4).
neman

Thanks @eshane! And glad you were able to repro. :-)

I actually hadn't been in the habit of D&Ding the STLs - I typically only use the import feature. Just tested with three different STL files in 5.0.2. No problems at all, and I haven't tested on any other version.
S3D-Jason

Is it possible that Sophos was causing the software to crash during open, which caused S3D to somehow corrupt the savedState file? Once that corrupt file existed, perhaps it caused S3D to crash every time in the future that it tried to open.

Once you disabled Sophos the software would open correctly, but the bad savedState file was still causing crashes. Disabling Sophos AND deleting the potentially corrupt savedState file gets it back to working.

Just a theory, but it might align with the experience one of our other customers noted.
eshane

S3D-Jason wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:52 am Is it possible that Sophos was causing the software to crash during open, which caused S3D to somehow corrupt the savedState file? Once that corrupt file existed, perhaps it caused S3D to crash every time in the future that it tried to open.

Once you disabled Sophos the software would open correctly, but the bad savedState file was still causing crashes. Disabling Sophos AND deleting the potentially corrupt savedState file gets it back to working.

Just a theory, but it might align with the experience one of our other customers noted.
Disabling Sophos had no visible change in behavior. Disabled or enabled, the only way I could get Simplify to open was by deleting the savedState file before starting simplify.

No savedState file and simplify runs, if a savedState file is present it crashes. I even tried replacing the saveState file on my work laptop with my saveState file from home (thinking it could be a corrupt file) and my work version of simplify still crashed.

Additionally, even trying to load a factory file causes a crash. V4.1.2 can save and load factory files. V5.0.0 can save and load factory files. V5.0.1 and V5.0.2 both crash when opening factory files. I've tried this with files created in V4.1.2 and up. V5.0.0 even loads V4.1.2 factory files. V5.0.1 and V5.0.2 will not open any factory files created on any version. All lead to a crash with V5.0.1 and V5.0.2.

If there is any possibility of an install being corrupted, how can I completely clean all registry entries of V5.0.X ? After uninstalling there are still many keys still present in the registry. Perhaps something was corrupted with the initial install, but I'm not sure how to go about achieving a completely fresh reinstall due to the residual registry keys.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”