pjhgerlach

Z-Hop with tool changeSnapmaker J1

Okay, I got my Snapmaker J1 working with Simplify3D and it seems to be printing fine but when it changes tools the Z-height stays the same when it travels to the home position. Sometimes scraping the surface.
Is there any way to introduce a z-hop in the Tool change script so that the build plate returns to it's original position when it's parked that tool and begins with the other?
Mind you, I'm not an expert in g-code and got simplify3d v5 to work with my J1 by looking at the CURA settings.
S3D-Jason

Re: Z-Hop with tool changeSnapmaker J1

I know our engineering team was looking into this printer right now, so it might be helpful to send them an email at the link below:
https://www.simplify3d.com/contact-us/

Include the current profile you are using as an attachment and I bet they can make better recommendations.
asworx

hi pjhgerlach,
would you be so nice to share your settings?
I'm not firm enough to handle the settings - copy the CURA settings. Of course there are different informations at different platforms and i did not find a succesful adoption into the s3D. I would like to try it, also when there is no Z-hop yet.
thanx in advance
haemsti

Any news on this topic?
I'd love to add a z-hop when tool changes, yet I haven't figured out how to do it.
S3D-Jason

The Snapmaker J1 profile is already included in the latest S3D version. Just go to Help > Configuration Assistant and you can download it.

If you want to add Z-hop, just go to Edit Process Settings > Extruders tab, and increase the Retract Vertical Lift setting.
pjhgerlach

Yes, the normal Z-Hop works just fine. But during when using two extruders at some point during the print the nozzle scrapes or even crashes into the top layer. Sometimes even causing sever layer shifts.
During tool changes I do not observe the lowering of the build plate. Only the parking of the extruder at the same level it was printing.
haemsti

I did change the tool change scripts a bit to the following. Worked for me so far.

Pre Tool Change Script:
; Pre Tool Change Script Start
G91 ; Set Relative positioning
G1 Z1 ; Lift Z-Axis (Z-Hop)
G90 ; Set Absolute positioning
{IF "[new_tool] == 0"}G1 X338.28 F[xy_travel_speed]
{IF "[new_tool] == 1"}G1 X-13 F[xy_travel_speed]
T[new_tool]
; Pre Tool Change Script End

Post Tool Change Script:
; Post Tool Change Script Start
G1 X[next_position_x] Y[next_position_y]
; Post Tool Change Script End
pjhgerlach

Thank haemsti, I'll try that with a short test print.
haemsti

Changed it to avoid the initial "move extruder over the whole build plate" and do a bigger hop:

Pre Tool Change Script:

Code: Select all

; Pre Tool Change Script Start
G91 ; Set Relative positioning
G1 Z2 ; Lift Z-Axis (Z-Hop)
G90 ; Set Absolute positioning
{IF "[old_tool] == 0"}G1 X-13 F[xy_travel_speed]
{IF "[old_tool] == 1"}G1 X338.28 F[xy_travel_speed]
T[new_tool]
; Pre Tool Change Script End

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”