nerys

IS there anyway to alter this not top layer top layer behaviour?

ok See this slice? see the squiggly green "fill" lines on the left? how do I make it stop doing this WITHOUT turning off top layers and without using multi process (its a pain)
Clipboard01.jpg
I know what they are. its considered "top layers" by the slicer. it things the overhangs need those. (they don't it will print just fine without them)

I know how to get rid of them. Turn off top layers. I know how to keep top layers and still get rid of them. Multi Process. top layers just for the layers that need then and then no top layers for those that don't

Problem is thats a real PITA if you have more than ONE set of processes to make. (multiple top layers sections)

Is there a way to stop it from adding this "support squiggle" as I call it? the problem is it can nearly DOUBLE the print time of an otherwise simple part. J&A for that tool path means it runs REAL slow through that.|

In this rather small 15g print it adds nearly a full 15 minutes to the print time !! (1h4min or 49 minutes) and without those squiggles I can up the speed more (and actually gain from the speed increase) and get it down to around 35 minutes.

NOT a bug just a troubleshoot for a curiosity. IE anything I can do about that tell it to do normal top layers but not these squiggle supports?
parallyze

Re: IS there anyway to alter this not top layer top layer behaviour?

Hmmm... only "workaround" coming to mind would be increasing extrusion width.
S3D does this infill depending on how much perimeters overlap if I remember correctly.
So depending on how steep the overhangs are this might be limited by what your
nozzle does allow for or the width/height ratio of your settings. I can't remember a
real workaround except the one using processes as you described...

Example, using a 0.4 nozzle and extrusion width auto (0.48mm):
ew1.PNG
Using 0.7mm (roughly the maximum I'd personally use on most 0.4mm nozzles):
ew2.PNG
nerys wrote: Problem is thats a real PITA if you have more than ONE set of processes to make. (multiple top layers sections)
Oh yes, on some objects this is pretty time consuming....

Edit: Infill rate is the same in both screenshots, it will vary depending on the extrusion width ^^
S3D-Jason

If you increase the number of outline perimeters, or lower the number of top and bottom solid layers, they will both help remove those green regions.
parallyze

S3D-Jason wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:25 pm If you increase the number of outline perimeters, or lower the number of top and bottom solid layers, they will both help remove those green regions.
I've only got v4, so this might have finally changed in v5. But looking at the picture from the first post it's about printing a thread,
so I don't understand how increasing perimeter count would work, isn't it always the same overlap percentage for the inner most one?

ewidth auto (0.48mm), 3 perimeters:
3per.PNG
10 perimeters:
per10.PNG
nerys

correct perimeter count does not fix this. Here is another example of it adding all that work and it just does not need to do it. its also entirely too much work to multi process this. It would be really nice to be able to turn this off. I BET YOU this is adding 2 or 3 HOURS to this print

there are 45 links in this chain and its doing this for every single one of them. this flat out does not need this for anything at all. waste of filament (not much few grams in this example) but the killer is the insane waste of TIME it requires to do this!!

I can turn off top and bottom layers but then I won't get the top and bottom layers I WANT the only other way to fix this that I am aware of is to multi process 3 layer process for the top and bottom of the chain links where I want top and bottom layers and then no top and bottom layers for the interstitial layers between the "real" top and bottom layers.

actually that's not "too" much work in this instances I might do it just to see what the time difference is. this print is 11.50 hours.
squiggles.jpg
I sort of got it removed. saves almost 1 hour 10 minutes. but it was adding "other" fill as well. I think it was related to the dense infill support settings. Given up on it for now. too much work for 1.5 to 2 hours savings. it would be nice if we had an option to "strictly enforce" settings so if I said 2 walls 3 top and bottom. then ONLY do 2 walls and 3 top and bottom and whatever infill I select with no "extra's"

No doubt in most models this "addition stuff" is probably useful but for experiences users who can tell when it will or won't be needed it would be nice to be able to get rid of it without having to jump through so many hoops.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”