prdp141

How to print non enclosed model

Firstly allow me to apologize if this is the incorrect area to place this message.
I have been trying to find a way to print a model with a very thin wall thickness eg 1-2mm. I use Rhino for all modeling needs which has an option ( Offset Surfaces) to produce objects with a specified wall thickness as desired. Of course that would be too easy. My problem is due to the busy surface contours on the model, the final output produces surfaces that are conflicting, overlapping or collapsing on each other and it would take days to manually select and repair these areas.

So, using a model of a 'cube' to experiment for time saving and simplicity, I removed one entire surface, exported the mesh model and sliced it with S3D (V5.02) and selected an Outline Perimeter of 3-4 to give a thin wall thickness. Looks great so far. I go to the next stage 'Prepare to Print" and still the 'sliced' model looks correct. (I have also tried tweaking Surface Normals to see if any difference occurs, but no.)

Problem 1 is....no matter what method I use, S3D replaces the missing/deleted surface so as to close the object. I get this.

Problem 2 is....I tried using Cross Section and the sliced model looks OK. However I end up with the same result. The printer produces a fully enclosed model.

I have added some pics that will hopefully provided a clearer understanding of what I am trying to achieve. No doubt there will be a simple method to this problem. I have been using S3D since Ver3.0 so I have much experience in that regard.

Anyhow if anyone can provide a solution or valid suggestion I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Phil
Attachments
Cube no slice.JPG
Cube with slice.JPG
Model with slice.JPG
DrD

Re: How to print non enclosed model

Take a look at the "Advanced" tab in your process and verify that the Non-Manifold slicing behaviour is
not set to "Close and Heal Segments".

Close and Heal.png

My initial suspicion is that you have that option set...

D.
You don't know what you don't know until you know (my philosophy for continued learning).
prdp141

Dr.D, thank you for taking the time to answer my plea for assistance, most appreciated. Your suspicion re Non-manifold slicing was correct. Unfortunately after changing to your suggested settings and tweaking some more eg Slicing region mode > Merge all Boundaries, the sliced image looked OK (horizontal surfaces go missing).
Not to worry I thought at least we're moving in the right direction. That was was until I did a test print. Same result as always. The entire cube prints out....beautifully. Damn!

Oh well I will keep plodding away, there must be a way to do this print, although having said that I did post a msg to the team at S3D HQ a couple of days ago. Still might be too early to expect a reply from them or they don't have any idea either.

Thanks again.

Phil
parallyze

prdp141 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:59 pm Anyhow if anyone can provide a solution or valid suggestion I would be extremely grateful.
Sorry, can't provide a solution and it's been a decade since I've seen Rhino the last time. But if your
model is made of multiple components, maybe you can use the boolean union modifier and/or
cap holes/create a solid mesh, I remember some modifier for this... mesh2NURBS or so...?
DrD

prdp141 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:16 am Dr.D, thank you for taking the time to answer my plea for assistance, most appreciated. Your suspicion re Non-manifold slicing was correct. Unfortunately after changing to your suggested settings and tweaking some more eg Slicing region mode > Merge all Boundaries, the sliced image looked OK (horizontal surfaces go missing).
Not to worry I thought at least we're moving in the right direction. That was was until I did a test print. Same result as always. The entire cube prints out....beautifully. Damn!

Oh well I will keep plodding away, there must be a way to do this print, although having said that I did post a msg to the team at S3D HQ a couple of days ago. Still might be too early to expect a reply from them or they don't have any idea either.

Thanks again.

Phil

Phil,

Can you please upload your sample .factory file??? That way, I can take a peek and see what other settings you have...
There might be a hint or two in there as well.

D.
You don't know what you don't know until you know (my philosophy for continued learning).
prdp141

Hi Dr.D, sorry for the late reply mate, been busier than a mosquito in a nudist camp. Anyhow I decided that I would create an inner wall with a specific gap and dismantle all surfaces manually and rebuild them so as not to cause any internal interferences. It's been a bit of task but I think I'm getting there.
Thanks for your assistance. Dr.D.

Best regards
Phil
www.theweedub.com
DrD

prdp141 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:48 am Hi Dr.D, sorry for the late reply mate, been busier than a mosquito in a nudist camp. Anyhow I decided that I would create an inner wall with a specific gap and dismantle all surfaces manually and rebuild them so as not to cause any internal interferences. It's been a bit of task but I think I'm getting there.
Thanks for your assistance. Dr.D.

Best regards
Phil
www.theweedub.com
No worries... glad to hear that you're figuring it out. So happy that I could help.

P.S. LMFAO @ mosquito in a nudist camp :D :D :D I'm totally going to borrow that expression from you!!! ;D

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”