Kaylor

[ADDED] Last Layer / Top Layer Settings

I love that I can customize speeds and widths for first layer settings, but I would like similar features for the last layer as well. This seems pretty obvious and I'm not sure why it's never been possible. The last layer/top layer is arguably more important than the first layer, as it's the finish of your product if you're dealing with flat designs. Changing speeds, temps, extrusion widths, and extrusion multipliers should all be possible. I know I can partially do this manually with split-processes, but what happens when your part is not flat? I don't want to specify settings for a specific layer, I need to specify settings for the top-most surface, whether that is the last layer, or in multiple places throughout the print. We need "Exterior Surface" settings. Please and thank you!
gearsawe

Re: Last Layer / Top Layer Settings

see the ironing post.
It can be done now with two process. have done this a few times and works quite well.
Have one process printing as normal and a second where I set the nozzle width to much less with 0.2 Extrusion Multiplier and have only one top layer use the and use the Horizonal inner/outer size composition to keep the nozzle from getting to close to the edge . this second process I also set 0 infill, 0 bottom layer, 0 Outline. Basically all the second process does is only print top layers. Don't have to split just apply the processes to the same model. Works great.

Hopefully this help you so you don't have to wait for this feature to be implemented
S3D-Jason

Re: Last Layer / Top Layer Settings

We added a whole collection of new top layer settings in Version 5.1. You can now control the speed, flowrate, and fan settings for the top layer independent from the rest of the print. That release also added support for ironing and anti-scarring features which can further improve the quality of the top surface. You can read about all of the new changes here:
https://www.simplify3d.com/products/sim ... rsion-5-1/

Thanks for the great suggestion!

Return to “Feature Requests”