tastechnician

Version 4.12 Legacy License Management

Hi all.

Please advise on the tool(s) that are available to manage the 4.12 licenses appropriately. Functionality has been gutted from https://cloud.simplify3d.com/account/le ... tallations. Why is this so?
I only use 4.1.2 rarely, have primarily migrated to 5.0.2, however need to use it occasionally.

The link above states:
"This page allows you to view and manage your Simplify3D licenses.

If you ever need to move your license to a new computer, you can do so by uninstalling the software from the old computer and selecting "Yes" when asked if you would like to remove your license from that machine. This will automatically return the license to your account so that it can be installed on a different computer.

In an emergency situation such as a stolen computer or a crashed hard drive, you may use the options below to remotely remove your license from that machine. Please note that the use of this option is limited, so it should only be used in emergency situations."

It used to let me know which machine had S3D 4.1.2 installed on it.

Looking forward to some productive assistance.

Kind regards,
S3D-Jason

Re: Version 4.12 Legacy License Management

I am not aware of any changes to that page. It's the exact same as it was before V5. In fact, I looked back at some of our documentation from a year ago and the screenshots look the exact same as they do now. So any options you had when using V4 are still on that page.
tastechnician

Thanks for addressing the access I couldn't get.

However, it would be excellent to access the legacy License Management from https://cloud.simplify3d.com/account/licenses. Currently the software is used in an ad-hoc fashion on many different machines depending what room I, or my students, are in. The link below works, but I can navigate my way there from the S3D site login.

Kind regards,
tastechnician

The link below works, but I can't navigate my way there from the S3D site login.
RoboDLC

tastechnician wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:29 pm Hi all.

Please advise on the tool(s) that are available to manage the 4.12 licenses appropriately. Functionality has been gutted from https://cloud.simplify3d.com/account/le ... tallations. Why is this so?
I only use 4.1.2 rarely, have primarily migrated to 5.0.2, however need to use it occasionally.

The link above states:
"This page allows you to view and manage your Simplify3D licenses.

If you ever need to move your license to a new computer, you can do so by uninstalling the software from the old computer and selecting "Yes" when asked if you would like to remove your license from that machine. This will automatically return the license to your account so that it can be installed on a different computer.

In an emergency situation such as a stolen computer or a crashed hard drive, you may use the options below to remotely remove your license from that machine. Please note that the use of this option is limited, so it should only be used in emergency situations."

It used to let me know which machine had S3D 4.1.2 installed on it.

Looking forward to some productive assistance.

Kind regards,
So far I have never needed to uninstall the software on one machine to enable use on another.
Simply logoff the computer you are disabling the software on and login to the computer you want to enable the software on. I just did this with both my 4.1.2 and 5.1.1 installs. In each case I installed the versions on a new computer I am replacing my old one with. Installed (but didn't open) the 4.1.2 and 5.1.1 versions on. Found the exe files and created links for the Start Menu. RDP'd to my old system, logged off 4.1.2 (in the help menu), started 4.1.2 on the new computer and logged in. No problem. Both of my 4.1.2 instances on two different machines are fine. Did the same with 5.1.1 (help uses "deactivate" to log off). Again, no problem.
No uninstalling required.

be well,
DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
tastechnician

Thanks for your feedback.

My issue is that I have a number of machines in lab and occasionally a member of staff or student will not release the license when their use is completed. I expect to purchase a number of the auto releasing licenses in the near future. Having easy access to the 4.12 license manager, as it was, from the current license manager would be useful.

Kind regards.
S3D-Jason

If you have multiple students using the same V4 license, then that is definitely bound to cause issues. A single standard license is only intended to be used by a single individual.

If you want to have a single license that easily moves between different users on different computers, I would recommend looking into the new V5 floating licenses.
tastechnician

Hi, as mentioned in my previous post, " I expect to purchase a number of the auto releasing licenses in the near future." I'm sorry I used an alternative term to "floating".

My point is still that I can't log into a machine, go to the S3D website, log in, and then easily manage 4.1.2 licenses. I need to explicitly enter the web address.

Kind regards,

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”