Johnm

Lay flat object on simulated build surface

Hi all,
I just upgraded to v5.02 of Simplify3D. I have an issue/question. I designed a part in Shapr3D on my M2 iPad Pro. I am trying to lay the part standing on end but completely flat on the simulated build surface. it does not lay completely flat. So, Simplify3d either builds up many layers on one side of what should be the first layer before printing the rest of the first layer or It adds supports under part of the first layer. Neither of which is what I want. How do I get my part to lay flat. I tried all three options, Center and Arrange, Drop object on build surface, and place on build surface. But nothing works. One time Simplify3D did place my object correctly on the build surface. Any help would be GREATLY Appreciated! thank You

This issue is one reason I gave up on Simplify3D several years ago. And started using CURA.
S3D-Jason

Re: Lay flat object on simulated build surface

Use Edit > Place Surface on Bed. Then click the surface you want to be on the bed. If you find that after doing that you still aren't seeing a completely flat surface on the bottom, it usually means your part is not completely flat on that face. If that happens, another easy trick is to just double click on the part and decrees the Z position by 0.01mm. That will drop the part slightly lower to help deal with any irregularities.
Johnm

Re: Lay flat object on simulated build surface

I use the Reorient mode icon at the bottom and them click on the plan to level. Still auto place in bed does not lay the part flat. Unless Simplify3D thinks thats the best way to print the part. But it is easy and works Great.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”