JimDrew

v5.x has missing layers

I created an object that is roughly 400mm x 125mm. It won't fit on the bed of my 330mm x 330mm printer, so I split the .STL file in half using 3D Builder. When I loaded the two halves they look fine in the main importer. However, when I slice them ONE of the two halves has (evenly) missing layers throughout the data.

I loaded the file with the issue into other slicers and none of them had any issues. Also, Simplify3D v4.0 loads and slices the file correctly. ALL versions of Simplify3D v5.0.x and v5.1.x have this issue.
5.1.jpg
4.0.jpg
Last edited by JimDrew on Sat May 20, 2023 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimDrew

Re: v5.x has missing layers

Here is the main importer, showing both halves correctly.
both.jpg

Here is a side view, showing the layers missing - clearly you can see gaps!
gaps.jpg
JimDrew

I decided to split the model in Soldworks (where it was created). The halves were saved individually and those load and slice just fine with any version of Simplify3D. There is something about how 3D Builder does the split and .STL generation (for one half) that Simplify3D v5.x does not like!

I loaded the 3D Builder parts into Cura, Lychee, and Chitubox (resin printer) slicers and none of them have gaps in the layers like v5.x of Simplify3D does.

I am going to try just splitting a 400mm x 125mm extruded block to see if the same issue exists or if the various cutouts are needed to cause this problem.

::EDIT:: I tried just suppressing the cutouts in the design and that yields a perfect slice afterwards. So, it's something about the cutouts in this particular design that 3D builder generates the data that Simplify3D does not like. It is interesting to note that it is always the "right" half that has the issue, and that issue (number of gaps) seems to be random depending on small changes to the model.

I can't post the file publicly, but if you give me an email address I can send it to you. It's 20KB .zip file.
3dbybrunolopes

Are you sure you are not using this feature?
Attachments
2023-05-20_094023.jpg
JimDrew

No, I am not using that feature - and I would think if I was there would be fully solid layers shown. When using the slider bar to look at the simulation of the layers being extruded, the missing layers are physically gone, as in blank and process "skips" the entire layer (jumps between the current and the next layer after the missing layer).

Also, after making a small change to the model and doing the same split with 3D Builder, I now see only 5 layers that are missing, and the location is not neat like the first example. Instead, there are two layers missing close together and then 3 more that are far away and not evenly spaced.
S3D-Jason

It's hard to give suggestions without being able to see the STL file. Can you perhaps email is directly to our team using the link below?
https://www.simplify3d.com/contact-us/

Otherwise, you could also try some of the suggestions on this page:
https://www.simplify3d.com/resources/ar ... sh-errors/

The bottom of that page talks about different repair modes in S3D that can work well for different types of models.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”