atomatic

different livel of infill on the same object

Hi,

I've long needed a print function that, unless I'm wrong in my research, is not offered by any slicer I know.

The problem is being able to freely define zones with different filling levels in the same object, many slicers allow you to do it at the layer level, I would need to do it by zones in the 3D space.

When, for example, I define an object that must be screwed in with a self-tapping screw or that has a through screw that exerts a certain force when screwed in, I would like to be able to define a cylinder with 100% fill around the cylinder hole, but examples of this needs can be found by the dozens.

In order to be able to define 3d areas with different filling levels, I had thought of this procedure: for one onject two different 3d drawings are defined with the same origin, one drawing defines the complete object, which will be printed with a certain filling, the other drawing defines the parts that they must have a different filling, the two drawings have the same origin, loaded into the slicer they define two different prints, but a function to be implemented allows the two prints to be merged, the operator defines the priority level of the objects and therefore the slicer merges the two prints into a single print of a object with different level of infill.

Thank you
Best regards
SG
atomatic

Re: different livel of infill on the same object

just a sample drawing to clarify the request.
The green cube is printed with a low infill, the red part with a higher infill

SG

Attachments
Immagine.jpg
gearsawe

Slic3R does something like this.
but as you are showing here I do somewhat the same thing with the two model just assign a different process to each. Usually when I want to tap thread on a hole when I don't want a bunch of extra walls everywhere else.
like this...
https://manual.slic3r.org/advanced/modifier-mesh
atomatic

the procedure chosen by slic3 is clearly more limited than the one I proposed.

As you can see from the example that I have published, the proposed method allows to define a complex resistant structure inside the object and is not limited to the definition of a "zone".

the screw example is just one example, the simplest I could describe.

however the example that you linked is significant of the problems that can be encountered during the design of a structural part to be built with a 3d printer, different areas of the object are subject to different forces that must be appropriately managed

Return to “Feature Requests”