nerys

Any idea why its splitting up the layers like this?

This is guarenteed to fail. it can't work. any idea why its doing this? why its "splitting" the layer into segments for some reason?
Clipboard01000.png
Attachments
Swanky_Kup-Snicket(2).factory
(94.65 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
gearsawe

Re: Any idea why its splitting up the layers like this?

wanted add 5.1 does this 5.0.2 does not

it should not do this but it seems something to do with when top layer shows between layers
it appears the these islands are treated as a separate thing and not merged with the internal top layer.
this is also making 5.1 unusable for me aswell!
Show stopper bug.
gearsawe

the green areas next to each other should be meagered. This is causing excessive amounts of travel reversing for top layer infill and slowing down the prints. slicing in 5.02 does not exhibit this behavior. oddly if you flip the part over and set bottom layer to 8 it does not show this problem only top layer have this issue.
Simplify3D_inWAN3juNA.jpg
layer_test.factory
(9.03 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
jfkansas

nerys wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:01 pm This is guarenteed to fail. it can't work. any idea why its doing this? why its "splitting" the layer into segments for some reason?

Clipboard01000.png
Your settings are guaranteed to fail without infill up to that point. That little top infill issue is the least of your problems.
gearsawe

@S3D-Jason
please look into this one. as I am now seeing this issue cropping up more having to keep trying to contently deciding what might work in 5.0, 5.02 or 5.1.

Please fix bugs before adding new features which seem to introduce more bugs. get one stable version with no issues should be a goal before adding new feature leaving uses with bugs in every version
nerys

Huh
IMG_20230529_172208.jpg
Huh x 7
IMG_20230529_172201.jpg
Chill my friend. I DO have some clue as to what I am doing.

The entire POINT of all the work I am putting into this model is to eliminate the need for infill is so I can gain the full benefit of using transparent/translucent filaments.
jfkansas wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:31 pm
nerys wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:01 pm This is guarenteed to fail. it can't work. any idea why its doing this? why its "splitting" the layer into segments for some reason?

Clipboard01000.png
Your settings are guaranteed to fail without infill up to that point. That little top infill issue is the least of your problems.
S3D-Jason

If you change the preview coloring to movement speed, you will see why those regions are printed differently. For example, in the 2nd screenshot a portion of that big rectangle is exposed as a top layer, and the settings say to print top layers at 50% the speed of regular solid infill, so that section is separated and printed slower.

If you change the top layer speed to 100% so that the entire solid layer can be printed at the same speed, then the entire region is printed at once.
Single-Region-Solid-Layer.png
nerys

so the team added a bug accidentally and now you found a work around to the bug by adjusting top layer speed?

yes it is a bug. doing that is stupid. its literally intentionally printing end points in "mid air" gravity would like to speak to the team :-) hehehe

Seriously though. I hope they fix it. having to use "work arounds" to fix such bugs should not be required.

and once again you have multiple settings conflicting with each other and the software choose the worst solution to the conflict and worse the software FLAT OUT IGNORES commands we give the software to do as its told. it IGNORES top layer settings it IGNORES make solid settings and it IGNORES solid diagram settings. and instead "does this"

as for you. thank you for discovering a work around to the bug and letting us know how to do it. i had to use 18 top layers to get around that bug.
S3D-Jason

I can certainly share that feedback with the team, but I did confirm that this is the intended behavior for the software. It is performing as designed. If you use different settings for the top layer (speed, flow rate, spacing, etc), then those regions need to be printed separately from the regular solid fill. Otherwise you would be extruding at 200 mm/s, 100% flow, but then expected to immediately slow down to 50 mm/s and potentially 120% flow in the same movement. The flow and speed cannot change this quickly, so the solution is to print these regions separately with the exact settings that you specify.

If you do not want to print the regions separately, then the top layers cannot use different properties than the regular solid layers. So set them both to use the same speed and flow rate, then the division will go away.
nerys

I have an honest question. are the people coding the software or determining what it does UNFAMILIAR with 3D printing?

You can not print in mid air. that is never going to work. the software should NEVER do something that results in printing in mid air unless the user for some silly reason explicitly asks for that. and no infill can't fix this. infill would have to be over 60% to compensate for this

the software is called SIMPLIFY 3d its supposed to simplify the process. its WHY we like the software. it needs to make intelligent choices. someone INTENDING the software to break apart a layer like this indicates to me they are unfamiliar with the physics of 3d printing in a gravity well. (IE on earth) that might work in space. it won't work on earth.

IE them doing this intentionally is "WORSE" than it being a bug. its now a straight up design flaw.

This also does not explain why it ignores user commands. if I tell it to make a solid diagram it should not argue with me (or in this case simply IGNORE me) it should make a solid diaphragm.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”