Johnm

Supports Question

HI All,
I am using V5.x. I LOVE Supports. As the picture show for this part there are gaps in the supports. Auto supports think it should create sngle supports instead of every thing connected together. And it is not printing correctly a pile of mess. If I add Support to fill in the Gaps so everything pints as one big support. it prints beautifully and still removes with easy. I prefer to haver supports printed this way. I could go on and on. So, is there a way to set Auto Supports to print as one solid support structure?
The top Supports in the Picture is the Auto Supports and the bottom is after I added supports to fill in the gaps.

Thank You
Attachments
IMG_1420.jpg
S3D-Jason

Re: Supports Question

Those gaps are typically removed automatically during slicing. You should not need to add pillars manually to fill those tiny slots.

The gaps are shown really just to help visualize the different pillars that were added. If it was 100% solid it would be hard to see that there are distinct pillars that you can click to remove.
Johnm

Hi,
I am seeing if you know how to get auto supports to be thicker without the GAPs as described in my original post. AND, YES, the GAPs are in the final print. Again when I fill in the gaps the infill prints an one solid Perimeter Wall; that is so nice and very easy to remove. I love it!!! I auto supports with space between the pillars are not as easy to remove. And my part is not as clean where the layer touches the support structure. I know there is a tradeoff between using less material and ease of Support removal. I think there should be the option to tweak Auto Supports. I HAIT having to draw on added supports when I could tweak auto support settings and then I would only have to click once on Auto support and be done with it. Other than this issue. I love auto supports. I think they work well.
S3D-Jason

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're saying, but the small gaps between the support pillars that you seem to be showing in your screenshot ARE typically removed automatically.

Here's a quick test to show you how it works. Download this file and import it into S3D.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2676295

Then go to Supports > Generate Automatic Supports. You will see dozens of support pillars with a tiny gap between each one. If you don't make any other changes and then you click Prepare to Print, all of those gaps are removed and you see a constant pattern of support infill across the entire zone.

Can you run the same test with that same part and let us know what you see?
Johnm

The only easy way I have found so far is to manually add supports.b Or would you call it easy?
Johnm

But my last couple prints with default setting printed great just the way I wanted. Back to being mostly easy to remove. Also I think it is the orientation I am printing the object that helps. Also Try starting a new project and import your part. I don't know if that will help but I wondered if I was using a profile from version 4 that was screwing this up. I recently had some other Extrusion issues and I went back to a profile/project that worked perfect; then deleted my object and imported the new object in said project. Now my Extruder issue are working better. I don't know if it is printing correctly but better. Because.... I upgraded to a REVO high Flow Nozzle and with one project it was printing very large/wide layers and the Brim layers(15 of them) were printing wide but also there was a lot of spacing between lines. On the project/profile I am currently using The line are thiner and the Brim lines are close together as they should be. I should check if my profile/project is using a V5 or V4 profile.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”