Johnm

Supports not printing right HELP!

I will post 2 pics. The first is Supports as set in Simplify3d v5.x. The second Pic is how the supports printed. Not GOOD. As you can see the part prints OK. The supports support the part enough to get the job done. But the supports should be solid. I am thinking.guessing this might be a slicing setting issue. Or a Bug. I had this occur before. Increasing support infill from 20% to 30% corrected the issue. So I tried increasing from 30% to 40% but no change. Any suggestion on what to try next? I thought maybe it was my setting in the slicing Behavior. I have it set to Thicken Invalid Segments and Merge All Boundaries. Another thought that maybe supports are printing just to thin. Is there a way to thicken supports. I know there is Support Density but that does not make the supports thicker. When Supports print correctly. Supports have been printing a one solid support structure. Sometimes supports print as a single parameter wall. I love that!!!! It makes supports soooo easy to remove. But I wish I was not having this latest issue. Bummer.
Johnm

Re: Supports not printing right HELP!

I think, maybe my issue is the part itself has just to thin of pieces making up the part therefore the Supports can't print correctly. The part I am printing now is a 6mm x 20mm frame and it looks like supports are printing correctly.
Johnm

Hi,
I have another question about Auto supports. Is there a setting to change either the support pillar size or the pillar spacing. I like my supports to be printed closer together. I tried printing Auto supports with out adding any additional manual support. And it prints OK but for me not as nicely as when I add support in between where Simplify 3D shows a space. When I manually add the aditional support supports are really really nice. I like when supports are printed as several Single extrusion Perimeters. Instead if individual pillars. The perimeter wall are so easy to remove. The more or less single pillar supports are easy to remove but not nearly as easy to remove. Now I am thinking that adding Additional supports does not necessarily Ture supports into a single perimeter wall.
gearsawe

kind of found a odd work around to making the supports pillars smaller than 1mm
scale your part up 200% add support of 1mm then scale the part back.
depending on your interface setup... setting back might be setting the model 100% or setting to 50% to put it back to the 100% size. this will also scale you supports oddly enough! so the result is 0.5mm pillars

I have used this a couple times to make it get those pesky 0.5mm overhangs.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”