RoboDLC

Duet connection works, then gets timeouts

Windows 10 pro
32GB RAM
S3D 5.1.1

When I first connect to my Duet Maestro, S3D does it's gyrations and connects. I realized that I sent the wrong file to my machine and told S3D to stop the print, which it did.
Now I get 99% timeout messages in the Communications window. Even after restarting S3D and the Duet controller.
S3D did get the new file downloaded, but again, no other messages are working and the Sensor Data window never updates.
Example:
SENT: GET http://192.168.1.167:80/rr_reply
<< more of the same >>
Response timeout. Attempting to force continue...

What could have gone wrong?

be well,
DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
S3D-Jason

Re: Duet connection works, then gets timeouts

If you restart S3D, then the software should begin communicating from scratch. In other words, anything you did in a prior session shouldn't affect things at that point.

If the printer is timing out, is it possible there is some kind of slowdown happening on the device itself? It runs a web server internally, so maybe there's some onboard process that was triggered previously.

We're able to connect/disconnect, start and stop prints, and do all sorts of other things with all the Duets in our office without any issue, so I haven't been able to find any other suggestions from our testing.
RoboDLC

S3D-Jason wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:30 pm If you restart S3D, then the software should begin communicating from scratch. In other words, anything you did in a prior session shouldn't affect things at that point.

If the printer is timing out, is it possible there is some kind of slowdown happening on the device itself? It runs a web server internally, so maybe there's some onboard process that was triggered previously.

We're able to connect/disconnect, start and stop prints, and do all sorts of other things with all the Duets in our office without any issue, so I haven't been able to find any other suggestions from our testing.
Well...
Restarting S3D did not make the timeouts go away. Neither did restarting the Duet Maestro. Duet internal thing? Maybe.
I am able to connect/disconnect (with timeouts), but I have not had the courage to try to start/stop prints.

If I ignore the Machine Control Panel and just send the file to the Duet, that works fine. BUT if I connect from the Machine Control Panel, and it gets timeouts, then sending the file stalls and does nothing until the "force timeout" finally times out.

It seems that there is nothing usable on the Machine Control Panel. The Temperature Plots, Device Files and Current position and jog controls do nothing. Do those only work with a USB direct connection? I am not sure what is a bug, and what is an unsupported activity.

Anyway, the workaround is to just not use the Machine Control Panel, so that's OK.

be well,
DLC
D. Clark
S3D-Jason

All of those things work fine on the several Duets I just tested in our office. Very confused why your Duet is behaving differently.

If you aren't even seeing temperatures being updated in the Simplify3D machine control panel, then it's likely the Duet isn't responding correctly to even the most basic commands that S3D is sending. That's probably what is leading to the communication timeouts - perhaps S3D is getting unexpected responses back from the Duet.

Can you connect using the machine control panel, let it stay connected for a few minutes until you start seeing the timeout messages, and then copy/paste that entire communication log here?
RoboDLC

S3D-Jason wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:56 pm All of those things work fine on the several Duets I just tested in our office. Very confused why your Duet is behaving differently.

If you aren't even seeing temperatures being updated in the Simplify3D machine control panel, then it's likely the Duet isn't responding correctly to even the most basic commands that S3D is sending. That's probably what is leading to the communication timeouts - perhaps S3D is getting unexpected responses back from the Duet.

Can you connect using the machine control panel, let it stay connected for a few minutes until you start seeing the timeout messages, and then copy/paste that entire communication log here?
What software version are your Duets? Maybe that is the difference.

be well,
DLC
D. Clark
S3D-Jason

We actually have several Duet boards across different generations running several different versions. We tested it on a lot of these variations and haven't seen the problem yet.
knutselsmurf

I have the same issues..

Board: Duet 2 WiFi (2WiFi)
Firmware: RepRapFirmware for Duet 2 WiFi/Ethernet 3.4.0 (2022-03-15)
Duet WiFi Server Version: 1.26

it works but lot's of timeout and slow responding...

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”