O'rion

Re: Unwanted flanges on flat parts

maddog7 wrote:I'm new here and pleased as punch that I might have been able to help.
I'm new as well. Glad to see it was worth asking the question!
maddog7

I've just remodelled the wades large extruder gear that comes with the M90 to include a bevel on the bottom surface. The standard one needs to be filed down all the way round so it mates properly with the small gear. I printed it last night using S3D and it's worked out really well, requires no sanding and meshes perfectly. Now if only I'd made the hex hole for the hobbed bolt the right size it'd all be golden! :lol:

Cheers
D
:)
O'rion

maddog7 wrote:I've just remodelled the wades large extruder gear that comes with the M90 to include a bevel on the bottom surface.
Can you include an image of the bevelled edge from your CAD program? I'd like to see an example.
maddog7

I've put the remodelled part on TV, so would this help?
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:625338
The thingiview view shows the bevel pretty well.
If not, just let me know and I'll sort out a pic from Designspark.
D
O'rion

Very helpful, thanks. In my case the mating surfaces are halves of the same object, so this might may not work, but I'll give it a try. Currently, a first layer width of 60% (printing at 0.2mm) has it nearly eliminated for the PLA currently being used. Good to have another option to experiment with!
maddog7

O'rion wrote:Very helpful, thanks. In my case the mating surfaces are halves of the same object, so this might may not work, but I'll give it a try. Currently, a first layer width of 60% (printing at 0.2mm) has it nearly eliminated for the PLA currently being used. Good to have another option to experiment with!
It's a bit of a band aid technique, no doubt, but it can be very useful. The prints I did to test it have really printed well. I'd guess as first layer height and temps are changed then so is potential adhesion, so for smaller parts it'd probably be better to change printer settings and use the bevel for larger ones.
Cheers
D
gcl_iii

Personally, I would leave the flanges on the parts. If you sand/file off the flanges once the parts are assembled you will have a perfect mate of the two parts with no transition.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”