discojon

S3D and laser etching

Greetings. I have removed the left stepper, extruder, fan and associated working from my printer and replaced it with a JTechPhotonics 2.8W laser. I am curre fly using S3D 2.2 for both additive printing and working on a profile for 2d plotting with the laser. I am using the AUX (M126 for on,M127 for off) to control the laser driver. My question that I'd like help from you on is this. I can get very satisfactory results with this method, however I am getting some "oozing" or "stringing" with rapid tool movemwnts where the laser isn't turning off. My current method is this, use sketch up to design file, use S3D to slice with custom profile, then manually find/replace each instance of G1 E-1 Fxxx with M127 ( turn laser off) and G1 E1 Fxxx with M126 (turn laser on). I have set retract for all moves >0.00 and that greatly improved the result. However, there are still some issues thatch I'm looking for ideas on. Any help you can offer would be great. Thanks for a great product and supporting the community.
Attachments
20141227_195050.jpg
bubbasnow

Re: S3D and laser etching

what is your printer electronics?
jlmartinjr

Re: S3D and laser etching

DiscoJon, Are you having any luck. I am planning on do roughly the same type project on my printer. I am using a FlashForge Creator Pro Dual. I have traded some emails back an forth with the guys at JTechPhotonics, they are very responsive and helpful. It would be very cool if there was a selector in S3D so that you could chose a laser etch head and it do everything for you without doing the all the manual finding and replacing.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”