luisito

Failed to print part

The Simplify3D slicer fails to generate the right layers for the following part:

"flexystruder-V1.1.stl"

taken from Devel.Lulzbot.com.

Some traces are missing at the sides of the center circled shape. You can see the parts missing in the softwarer preview windows, as well as in the printing test.
TenKOhms

Re: Failed to print part

As with most (if not all models I've seen) that generate funky g-code, the problem is with the model and should be re-designed/re-CAD'd to ensure it is a proper watertight model with correctly facing triangles. If you use the mesh error tools included in Simplify3D Software, you can find a non-manifold edge around the inner radius of where the hobbed bolt would go, and it looks like some of the inner features of the model are not closed off properly (use the cross-section tool). Not 100% sure on the last part, but it does look weird to me when I uset he cross section tool on the model. I suggest contacting aleph objects and seeing if they can either provide you with the source (so you can make the necessary adjustments) or asking them to make the necessary adjustments and exporting a valid STL for 3D Printing.
luisito

If I print the same part using Slic3r it prints perfect, with no missing parts.
So I would not say it is a STL error.
jimc

not necessarily. every slicer is different and the model errors it picks up and are sensitive to. s3d does always seem to be more sensitive to errors than some other slicers out there. if tenk found a non manifold edge then you have problems. try running it through netfabb and see what you get. any time you see odd slicing behaviors its almost always model errors.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”