montressor

Mac Version Tweaks

After using the Mac version for the past months, wanted to make a few suggestions to make the experience a little more enjoyable:

- Application: shouldn't close when last window is closed, app should remain running until user selects "Quit"

- FFF Settings: autofill name of active FFF settings file, currently has to be retyped every export

- Factory File Saving: honor saved state of factory file (ie: don't ask to save when closing if nothing's changed since last save)

- FFF Settings: allow attaching filament profiles to settings file (size, mfr, plastic type, color, cost, purch date, SKU#)

- Model settings window: Do not open centered - it is guaranteed to obscure part of the model this way and this is an interactive process. Why is this a non-modal dialog anyway? Input ribbon would be better UI choice.

- Manual Support Definition window - Do not open centered: it is guaranteed to obscure part of the model this way and this is an interactive process. Why is this a non-modal dialog anyway? Input ribbon would be better UI choice.

- Machine Control Panel - display all tool heads at same time or break into separate section. Current dropdown method is non-intuitive because it assumes single extruder setup

- Machine Control Button on sidebar - second click should hide Machine Control Panel window for consistency with other tools

- Manual Support Definition window - second click should hide Machine Control Panel window for consistency with other tools

- Cross Section View window - second click should hide Machine Control Panel window for consistency with other tools

- Add keyboard command to "Preview G-Code" menu option (cmd-G?)

- Add keyboard command to "Remove Model" menu option (cmd-Delete?)

- Add keyboard command to "Prepare to Print" button (cmd-P?)

- Add keyboard command to "Exit Preview Mode" button (cmd-X?)
jimc

Re: Mac Version Tweaks

yeah ill go along with a couple of these for sure.

#1 is good. typical mac apps never close when the window is closed. just keep it consistent with everything else mac.

i also like the second click to close windows as well as the windows opening not in the center. every time i need to drag the window out of the way. of course thats no big deal but would be nice.
laird

Agree with all of this. These changes would make the app feel much more like a native Mac app.
dsegel

Agree, plus:

Allow deleting models with the delete key
habloIngles

Some of these sound very handy
AK_Eric

+1 from a mac user.
Bots:
Makerbot Replicator 2x / Sailfish on Mightyboard
Custom C-Bot / RepRap Firmware on RADDS
Custom Tevo Little Monster / RepRap Firmware on Duet
jmsjgill

Another vote/request for #'s 5 & 6. This ticks me off to no end.
greybeard

Yes to all the above. Plus the following:
  • Fix the Toolbar - once it's closed, there's not way to open it without Rebooting the app.
  • The user setting of the origin in Pref's is not retained after quitting
  • The mouse zoom and scaling goes crazy with a bluetooth mouse and the slightest touch when changing a numbered setting drives the values wild (only with this app)
  • No live preview
  • Request to enable user setting of workspace background color
3D Print Parts
https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs
Umpa

The mouse zoom and scaling goes crazy with a bluetooth mouse and the slightest touch when changing a numbered setting drives the values wild (only with this app)

This is SOOOOOOO true. For a time I thought it was my mac at fault. I could not understand why the GUI seems 'sticky' with numbered values shooting off on their own. Its a REAL pain - and like toy say other programs run fine only S3D has this effect.
lintmachine

The mouse scroll wheel handling in the Machine Control Panel is incredibly frustrating. I've ruined a couple of prints now by accidentally touching the mouse and changing things like the extrusion rate by huge amounts without realizing it.

I now have to be very deliberate and careful about where I leave the mouse focus while making a print. "You can never be quick, if you must be careful."

If there were an option to just disable it, I would do that. I'd rather nudge the value using the arrow keys on my keyboard or just type the value.

Return to “Feature Requests”