soulhuntre

2.2.1 Communication problems?

So I upgraded to 2.2.1 and for the first time EVER I am having USB communications issues. Makerware runs fine for hours talking to the printer, so it is not the hardware etc.

The log file is not very helpful, there is no error... the printer just stops. Sometimes it restarts, other times it does not seem to (have waited 3-5 minutes). The extruder is on and hot, this just burning little molten puddles wherever it is.

When it happens, the log shows a "SENT:" message, with no "READ:" coming back.

Very frustrating, and potentially dangerous.
JoeJ

Re: 2.2.1 Communication problems?

Did you disable the makerbot conveyor services? those will screw with all other programs abilities to communicate with the printer
soulhuntre

JoeJ wrote:Did you disable the makerbot conveyor services? those will screw with all other programs abilities to communicate with the printer
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did, in fact if you don't stop those services S3D can't even connect to the USB port. They are stopped dead :)

Ken
tonyno

I'm seeing this, too, with my DaVinci. When it won't connect, it sometimes is tough to get back in sync.
JoeJ

tonyno - if you are using a Da Vinci, you probably just need to swap the flow control mode. Go to tools --> firmware configuration, and then click the Communication tab. Switch the flow control mode to hardware flow control.
tonyno

JoeJ wrote:tonyno - if you are using a Da Vinci, you probably just need to swap the flow control mode. Go to tools --> firmware configuration, and then click the Communication tab. Switch the flow control mode to hardware flow control.
Ooh, thanks. Will try that.
tonyno

Nope. No change. :(
TenKOhms

tonyno wrote:Nope. No change. :(
what firmware version are you running on the da vinci and what OS do you have? Also, is the problem intermittent, or everytime you try to connect to the da vinci? Do you have any screenshots of the communication log of the Machine Control Panel when it won't connect?
tonyno

TenKOhms wrote:
tonyno wrote:Nope. No change. :(
what firmware version are you running on the da vinci and what OS do you have? Also, is the problem intermittent, or everytime you try to connect to the da vinci? Do you have any screenshots of the communication log of the Machine Control Panel when it won't connect?
DaVinci firmware is 1.0.3 and I'm running Windows 8.1.

It seems to stop towards the end of the print. Here are the last several entries when a print completes...

SENT: XYZ_@3D:8
RECEIVED: WORK_PARSENT:0
RECEIVED: WORK_TIME:0
RECEIVED: EST_TIME:0
RECEIVED: ET0:171
RECEIVED: BT:86
RECEIVED: MCH_STATE:27
RECEIVED: PRN_STATE:5
RECEIVED: LANG:0
RECEIVED: ET0:169
RECEIVED: ET0:167

Right now, the bed temp is 56°C and the bed just dropped. I just tried Disconnect, then, Connect, and it said it was connected. I'll wait and see if I can reconnect in a little while.
TenKOhms

For the da vinci printers, you have to wait for the printer to go through its entire cooling sequence (meaning you have to wait for the bed to cool, wait for it to lower, etc). before you can start another print. If you want to manually override this so you don't have to wait for it to finish it's cooling sequence, follow the on-screen directions on the da Vinci's LCD panel to skip the cooling and lowering of the bed. I've found that the LCD menu has to be on the very first main menu screen before you can start a print.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”