Page 1 of 1

Multiple USB Port Printing

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:58 am
by jrpmedia
I have 4 FlashForge =Pro's
I'd like to print to all 4 from one [networked] Mac.
Could I plug the FlashForges into the USB Posts on the one Mac and send a separate print job to each FlashForge, or launch 4 copies of Simplify3d (somehow?) to do this?
Is there another (networking) solution apart from SD Card?

Re: Multiple USB Port Printing

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:49 pm
by KeyboardWarrior
Reasons why computer to USB transmission should be a secondary choice to SD card printing:
Main reason-->USB cables are prone to EM interference- If too many transmissions get dropped in the back-and-forth the firmware will go unresponsive.
Computer's sleep settings may be on
Laptop could run out of battery
Automatic system updates restarting the computer
If your processor lags (playing a video game that requires high performance)- transmission could be interrupted
Accidentally closing the software
Computer freezing due to another program
http://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1949

I would highly highly highly suggest you don't use four printers from the same USB port as the reasons listed in the above list. However, you can do this by opening up separate instances of Simplify3D by opening up the Terminal and typing in the following:

"open -n /Applications/Simplify3D-2.2.2/Simplify3D.app" (Without the quotes)

This will open separate instances of Simplify3D that won't interfere with one another, so you can have four different printers being controlled by one computer.

Re: Multiple USB Port Printing

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:39 am
by jrpmedia
I will give it a try using the mini-macs 3 or 4 usb ports (for very small jobs).
Hope fully I can select which Port to print too ... we'll see ...

Thank you :-)