zerofear

Multiple Issues with v5

So I may have made a mistake in upgrading to Simplify3D v5. I used v4 for years, until the lack of updates and support drove me to other slicers. Now I am used to using BambuLabs Slicer. But there were a few issues/bugs I am having with Bambu, so figured I would try Simplify3D v5.

Now I am having to figure out how to do certain things in v5 that are SO easy to do in other Slicers. Getting kind of frustrated. Here are some issues I am having (so far)...

1) I am trying to adjust my supports. In v4 I could change the overhang angle, and then regenerate auto supports and depending on what I did for that setting I would get more or less supports. However, with v5, I have changed that setting from 1 deg to 99 and each time I generate auto supports nothing changes. It puts the same amount of supports each time in all the same places. it is like that setting is being completely ignored.

2) In other slicers I can easily add a brim. The brim gets put on and is touching my part. This is needed to help hold the part in place. However, I can change the skirt offset to 0 or anything, and every time it just goes back to 4.00 after clicking OK. I read somewhere on this forum that you can't have a brim with support enabled (if that is true that is stupid). But even if I remove all supports, and try to set the brim offset to anything below 4, it always defaults back to 4 when clicking OK. Confirmed on slicing that it is not working. YES, my part is touching the build plate before you mention that.

3) Along with the above, Some of the supports are tall and skinny. They need a brim to give the support itself more stability. Doesn't seem support can use brims in Simplify3D. It can in um, ALL other slicers.

I know I could probably do a raft, which is what I always used to do with Simplify, but that is just a waste of material when it is not needed when a brim would work fine in most cases (it works in other slicers).

4) Also, how can you use the Bambu AMS with Simplify3D? Is that even possible?

5) How can you use different build plates in Simplify3D? In Bambu I can just select the build plate type. I am guessing I have to figure out what settings get changed in Bambu when changing plates and create multiple profiles/processes in Simplify3D to do this?

6) Does Simplify3D v5 still not support any other type of support like trees? If it does, it is not intuitive because I can't find it.

I am sure there are lots of changes behind the scenes for v5, but honestly, other than GUI looks, I don't see any difference or new options in v5 that v4 didn't have. So far regretting the upgrade. I am finding that other slicers are still so much more advanced and more options. I am sure that some of this is since I left Simplify3D and haven't used it for quite some time and learned other slicers, finding it hard to come back after seeing other slicers and what they can do.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.
S3D-Jason

Re: Multiple Issues with v5

I think most of the things you brought up can already be done in S3D. I'll see if I can answer a few of them below.

#1 - The overhang angle definitely affects the number of supports generated. I just loaded several different parts, tried changing the overhang angle several times, and each time it created different supports based on that criteria. We haven't had any other customers mention this setting not working, so if you're having trouble with a specific model, can you post it in this thread? That will make it easier to give suggestions.

#2 - We also haven't had any customers mention a problem changing the skirt offset. Again, did several tests here and it worked exactly as expected each time. Can you post a quick video showing exactly what you're changing and clicking so we can see what might be happening?

Once you change the skirt offset to zero, it will act just like a brim. The brims work with supports as well, so that shouldn't be an issue.

#3 - Again, the brims already work fine with supports, so that shouldn't be an issue. One suggestion though - if you go to Edit Process Settings > Support > and change the "Base Support Layers" to 1 or 2, that actually helps quite a bit with support adhesion (a brim will improve it even further). You might also want to try changing the support infill pattern to something like grid since that helps a lot with the stability of really tall supports.

#4 - Yes, S3D V5 already supports the Bambu printers with AMS. In fact, we have that same setup in our office which we have used quite a lot. If you send your setup details to our engineering team at the link below, they can help provide an exact profile.
https://www.simplify3d.com/contact-us/

There's a few ways to handle different build plates, but I think that's more of a personal preference, so I'll let other users chime in with their suggestions.
zerofear

Jason,

Thank you for responding. I uploaded a small video showing me changing the Supports Overhand Angle from 1 to 45, then to 89. Each time I clear all supports in between. You can see looking at the object, the same amount of supports shows the same each time.

I have also tried different models, and same results. I also did the same models and tests in Simplify3D v4 and it works as expected. It just seems to be v5 that is not working.

I will upload a video of the brim thing next, but the video I made was slightly over the 3 MB limit. So I need to make another one and try to get it smaller.

-Scott-
Attachments
Video_Showing_Support_Overhang_Angle_Not_Working.mp4
(2.65 MiB) Downloaded 58 times
zerofear

Jason,

ok, here is a video of the brim issue. No matter what I set the skirt offset to, it will go back to the original setting. I can't seem to change it. Again, tried different models, and the same result, the setting always goes back. In this case it was a 5, then I set it to 1, and clicked ok. Then go back to check the setting and it is back to 5. Then try to set it to 4, and again, it goes back to 5 after clicking ok. Doesn't matter what you set it to, it doesn't stick.

-Scott-
Attachments
Video_Showing_Brim_Offset_Not_Working.mp4
(2.69 MiB) Downloaded 58 times
zerofear

Last response for tonight.

"#4 - Yes, S3D V5 already supports the Bambu printers with AMS. In fact, we have that same setup in our office which we have used quite a lot. If you send your setup details to our engineering team at the link below, they can help provide an exact profile.
https://www.simplify3d.com/contact-us/"

You mentioned sending my setup details to your engineering team. What details are they looking for?

Thanks,
Scott
S3D-Jason

Just tell them what exact Bambu printer you have, how many AMS systems, etc.

For the other 2 videos you posted, I haven't been able to get the software to do anything like that on all the computers I've tried here. It works as expected each time. Perhaps there's something wrong with your installation? Do you have a 2nd computer where you could try installing the software?
lemonade747

zerofear wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:07 pm So I may have made a mistake in upgrading to Simplify3D v5. I used v4 for years, until the lack of updates and support drove me to other slicers. Now I am used to using BambuLabs Slicer. But there were a few issues/bugs I am having with Bambu, so figured I would try Simplify3D v5.

Now I am having to figure out how to do certain things in v5 that are SO easy to do in other Slicers. Getting kind of frustrated. Here are some issues I am having (so far)...

1) I am trying to adjust my supports. In v4 I could change the overhang angle, and then regenerate auto supports and depending on what I did for that setting I would get more or less supports. However, with v5, I have changed that setting from 1 deg to 99 and each time I generate auto supports nothing changes. It puts the same amount of supports each time in all the same places. it is like that setting is being completely ignored.

2) In other slicers I can easily add a brim. The brim gets put on and is touching my part. This is needed to help hold the part in place. However, I can change the skirt offset to 0 or anything, and every time it just goes back to 4.00 after clicking OK. I read somewhere on this forum that you can't have a brim with support enabled (if that is true that is stupid). But even if I remove all supports, and try to set the brim offset to anything below 4, it always defaults back to 4 when clicking OK. Confirmed on slicing that it is not working. YES, my part is touching the build plate before you mention that.

3) Along with the above, Some of the supports are tall and skinny. They need a brim to give the support itself more stability. Doesn't seem support can use brims in Simplify3D. It can in um, ALL other slicers.

I know I could probably do a raft, which is what I always used to do with Simplify, but that is just a waste of material when it is not needed when a brim would work fine in most cases (it works in other slicers).

4) Also, how can you use the Bambu AMS with Simplify3D? Is that even possible?

5) How can you use different build plates in Simplify3D? In Bambu I can just select the build plate type. I am guessing I have to figure out what settings get changed in Bambu when changing plates and create multiple profiles/processes in Simplify3D to do this?

6) Does Simplify3D v5 still not support any other type of support like trees? If it does, it is not intuitive because I can't find it.

I am sure there are lots of changes behind the scenes for v5, but honestly, other than GUI looks, I don't see any difference or new options in v5 that v4 didn't have. So far regretting the upgrade. I am finding that other slicers are still so much more advanced and more options. I am sure that some of this is since I left Simplify3D and haven't used it for quite some time and learned other slicers, finding it hard to come back after seeing other slicers and what they can do.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.
I'm at v5.1.2 and still having the brim issue. I couldn't set the brim offset to 0. It will revert back to 10mm as a default. Did you figure it out how to solve this issue?
lemonade747

Ok I found why this was a problem. This Brim problem, which cannot be set to 0 offset, is only happening to v5.1.2.

I downloaded the v5.1.1 and it's working well for me. I can set the brim offset to 0 like I did in the v4.

Hello developer, could you have a look at this and see if you can find out something wrong in v5.1.2?

Thanks!
S3D-Taylor

This sounds more like a problem that many of our customers have experienced with Sophos, where changes to the profile gets reverted/not saved.

Sophos actually has a page on their website explaining this as a known issue, and customers that have contacted them about it have yet to receive a resolution. We hope it will be fixed in the future, but for now you should be able to either disable Sophos or add an exception for Simplify3D to bypass the issue.

You will likely need to exempt the following directory and all of its subfolders:

C:/Users/%USERNAME%/AppData/Local/Simplify3D/S3D-Software-V5

Additionally, if you have the ability you should exempt the following registry folder and all of its subfolders:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Simplify3D

Once the exemption was added, you might need to delete and reload the stock profile. It is possible that the profile was corrupted by Sophos. Once you do this, if you still see the issue, please try disabling Sophos entirely and running Simplify3D.
lemonade747

S3D-Taylor wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:21 pm This sounds more like a problem that many of our customers have experienced with Sophos, where changes to the profile gets reverted/not saved.

Sophos actually has a page on their website explaining this as a known issue, and customers that have contacted them about it have yet to receive a resolution. We hope it will be fixed in the future, but for now you should be able to either disable Sophos or add an exception for Simplify3D to bypass the issue.

You will likely need to exempt the following directory and all of its subfolders:

C:/Users/%USERNAME%/AppData/Local/Simplify3D/S3D-Software-V5

Additionally, if you have the ability you should exempt the following registry folder and all of its subfolders:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Simplify3D

Once the exemption was added, you might need to delete and reload the stock profile. It is possible that the profile was corrupted by Sophos. Once you do this, if you still see the issue, please try disabling Sophos entirely and running Simplify3D.
Thanks for your quick and detailed answer. I couldn't try this since Sophos is controlled by the IT department and I'm not sure if they can let me whitelist the software just only for me or not.
It's very interesting that I didn't even think about Sophos, but you mentioned it here since in the first place that it's a common problem with their system. I'll keep in mind this method and see whether I can contact some guys in the IT department to fix it for me. For now, I just use the v5.1.1 and it's working well for me without any issues (weird right?)

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”