Todd_R

Second layer not sticking/printing after layer change

I'd like opinions about why I'm having this problem. I'm making a name plate that can be inserted into a model. The base is 1mm thick and the letters are 1mm thick. I made the print before and it came out great. Now some of the letters fall off, or don't even print, rather they make a blobby mess. It's like the 1st layer gets too cold after the filament change.

Using the same font and size and the M600 code to stop halfway up to change filament. The letters are single extrusions with single extrusion fill.
I'm right there when it's filament change time, so the nozzle doesn't cool down too badly (BTW, what's the G code for keeping it hot?) and the base has a brim to try and keep the part stuck down and warm.

On the speeds tab, I've slowed down the speed on quick layers and short perimeters, but it didn't seem to help.
394526545_10221933844329246_8112224013930949648_n.jpg
S3D-Jason

Re: Second layer not sticking/printing after layer change

You could try using the variable settings wizard to slow down the default printing speed for all of the upper layers.

Another idea could be making sure the nozzle is well primed after the filament change, since any gaps in the priming could cause missing extrusions like that.
Todd_R

On the speeds tab, I've slowed down the speed on quick layers and short perimeters, but it didn't seem to help.
You talking about something else?

The very 1st one I did came out great, don't know what's changed since then, but I've tried about 5 times to get it right.

The nozzle primes quite a bit before going back to the print.
Ender 3 S1
S3D-Jason

Yes - the first setting on the Speeds tab is called "default printing speed". That's what I recommended adjusting.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”