JBrondos

Filament Change (Klipper, Sovol SV07)

I've searched for "filament change" in Simplify3D, but most of the posts I've found are 5-6 years old.

I want to change filament in the printing of a model, 20 mm from the base.

Does Simplify3D v5 have any new settings for filament change? Any tutorials or instructions from the year 2023?

Does Klipper have specific GCode instructions/routines for changing filament at "position X" of "layer Z"?

Do I need Process 1 for the first color and then Process 2 for the second color?

If I have to add a "filament change" GCode line, where in the Edit Process do I put it?
Darcsyde

Re: Filament Change (Klipper, Sovol SV07)

I think I just asked the same exact question but since I’m new to the forum, my post has to be approved 😂🤣

I have a pair of K1Maxs and I’m trying to do the EXACT same thing.., I can set up the different processes so that the layers are specified, but I don’t know what gcode to add to pause the printer for the filament change and where to add it… hopefully someone with some knowledge will answer soon…

Changing filament is so fast and easy with this machine that I’m finally excited to be able to do multi color prints, but most of the info I’m finding on YouTube is at least 7 years old and irrelevant
S3D-Jason

Yes, V5 has some new features that make filament changes easier. For example, if you want to pause the machine right before layer 25 to perform a filament change, just add the following line to your layer change script:

Code: Select all

{IF "[current_layer_number] == 25"}M600 ; pause for filament change right before layer 25
That should work with most gcode based machines. However, if the M600 command isn't supposed by your printer, you may want to ask the manufacturer what command you should use as a replacement. I've seen some machines that needed M0 or G5 instead.
Darcsyde

So I add that line to the "Pre-layer Change script" or the "post-layer change script"?

nothing in "Process change"?

if I don't have to use processes, do I just stack the GCode with the different layers in the same window if I want to do multiple color changes?

Like below:

{IF "[current_layer_number] == 25"}M600 ; pause for filament change right before layer 25
{IF "[current_layer_number] == 95"}M600 ; pause for filament change right before layer 95
{IF "[current_layer_number] == 107"}M600 ; pause for filament change right before layer 107
S3D-Jason

Correct, nothing in process change script. You can use pre or post layer change, it doesn't really matter.

And yes, you can add multiple lines like you suggested if you want to pause at multiple layers.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”