PhillipM

Bambu P1S - can v5 control everything out of the box?

As above, I've got a P1S with the AMS material changer - BS and Orcaslicer are really, really annoying the hell out of me with slicing bugs, fan speed issues with overhang detection, not being able to use a different material for infill vs walls, etc, stuff I never had any issue with back on S3D V4.

Unfortunately I haven't really bothered with paying for V5 I just ran all my old profiles from V4 - but I'm at the point now where I'm thinking about changing that, I wasn't going to bother to start with as the amount of Bambu owners on S3D is probably tiny so I wasn't sure how much support there'd be.

Anyway, to stop rambling and get back to the question, does V5 support everything on the Bambu printers including the MMS system - how about live controls and printing via wifi, etc? Anything particularly missing?
S3D-Jason

Re: Bambu P1S - can v5 control everything out of the box?

I know we actually have a large group of users running S3D with the Bambu machines already! In fact, we have several Bambu machines in our office that we use all the time with S3D V5 as well. Currently, the V5.1.2 release supports everything you need for slicing and generating build files. We even bundle pre-configured profiles to make setup pretty easy out of the box.

If you're using an AMS system, you can contact our team directly at the link below, share your exact AMS setup details, and they can provide you with the appropriate profile to use. We have several AMS systems here too, so we've been able to tune things fairly well and consistently get great multi-color prints.
https://www.simplify3d.com/contact-us/

Finally, I should mention that we don't currently support wifi printing, but you can always export the gcode file from S3D and then use BS to upload it to the printer. We're looking into improve the wifi support in the future, since we know many users would appreciate that improvement.

Hope that helps!
PhillipM

Thanks for the reply, I see it's still missing tree supports, stp support, modifier meshes and few other features looking through the requests, along with the wifi that means I'd end up putting most things back and forth through slicers then :|
tcope

I don't see that many people are having issues with Studio or Orca slicer. Regardless, those slicers are still _years_ ahead of S3D and all indications are that they will simply increase that lead as time goes on. S3D was silent for 5 (?) years with _nothing_ done. Then they released v5 and a year later only 3 updates. Nothing over the past 6 months.

Now I'd be the first to say that Bambu Studio will always be a _far_ better choice for Bambu printers but that is also because it only needs to support 1 brand of printer. S3D needs to support many more. S3D has no support for the AMS in anyway so I'd consider it a no brainer on Studio and Orca working better.

You never had an issue with S3D v4 using multi material on infill? Really? I've also never seen or really heard of any issues with the fan speed. You can set that all manually even if you want in Studio and Orca.
S3D-Jason

We hear from people all the time that are unhappy with the other software they are using, so I think it's still very useful to have S3D as an option for many customers. Like you said, many other programs only work with specific printers. Try getting your FlashForge machine to talk nicely to Orca, or a Bambu printer talking over WiFi to Slic3r. There are lots of combinations that don't work, and we certainly try to be different where S3D works across the board.

And while we were working on the big V5 update for a few years, that's only because it was so large. It wasn't like the entire team was doing nothing - instead they were trying to complete the largest feature collection we have ever put together in a single release. It was a big tasks, so it took time to complete.

After the V5 launch we released more updates in that 12 month period than any other year in our past. It's took us multiple years to do that many releases for V4, but we had even more for V5 in far less time.

For the last few months, the team has been focusing on our next major update. Again, bigger features take time, so it's normal there's a longer gap before each new major version is released which is what you're seeing now.

Finally, I know this original thread was for the P1S, so I just want to reiterate that we DO support the AMS units on the Bambu machines. We have several AMS units in our office that we use between many Bambu printers, so we have tested it quite a bit. If you need help with the setup, please email our team directly at the link below so that they can assist you:
https://www.simplify3d.com/contact-us/

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”