tcope

S3D missing features

One year ago yesterday v5 was release. Since then we've seen a couple of small updates of basically bug fixes. Nothing at all even in the past 5 months. Even v5 is still _years_ behind all other _free_ slicers and it's simply falling further behind on a daily basis.

I bought v5 as I felt it was good to support a company that at least at some time followed through with their hype. I figured they would now be able to use that money to further develop a product.

It now just seems like a pump/dump scheme. Release a few additions to v4 (after 5 (?) years), collect as much as you can on the update and then basically walk away all over again. It really does not matter what is done at this time, Simplify3D is simply WAY too far outdated to ever come close to even free slicers.

Personally, I've stopped using it. S3D has my money and I'm fine with that. No one forced me to spend that $60. I should have learned my lesson after waiting years for any update at all. When v5 was finally release I felt like I should eat some crow after calling them out over so many years. Now I just realize, I was right the entire time. I sure they are a group of great people but a fact is a fact, there is simply no way for s3D to catch up at this point. It's not only lost the race, it's gone home and taking a nap. I just feel bad for the people who still buy into the hype and think it's worth any money at all.
DrD

Re: S3D missing features

Couldn't agree more. Up until about 3-4 months ago, S3D was my slicer of choice (I've been using it since version 3.xx).

There seems to be once again a general lack of "enthusiasm" from the S3D devs on giving us a better slicer than what the Open Source communities have provided; and that's a shame really as I truly enjoy S3D's GUI moreso than that of other slicers out there.

I too will now say my goodbyes to the slicer that got me so deep into additive manufacturing.

It was good while it lasted (until the V5 debacle).

Ciao.
You don't know what you don't know until you know (my philosophy for continued learning).
S3D-Jason

tcope wrote: One year ago yesterday v5 was release. Since then we've seen a couple of small updates of basically bug fixes.
Are you forgetting about Version 5.1? That was actually the largest incremental update we have ever released.
https://www.simplify3d.com/products/sim ... rsion-5-1/

In addition, the rate of updates has definitely been quicker after the V5 launch. We released more updates in the last 12 months than any other year I know of in the past. You can see many of the recent ones here:
https://www.simplify3d.com/products/sim ... ase-notes/

For the last few months, I know our developers have been working hard building features for the next big update. The bigger releases take longer to develop, so it's normal to have extra time before those get announced. From the features I have already seen, I know they completed several very poplar feature request, so I think there will be much to like when it goes live.

We use feedback on this forum and through other channels to help prioritize features that are the most popular. So to help keep this thread a bit more constructive, if there are specific features you really want to see in the next update, please let us know! I can share that feedback with the team as they've been making great progress with the features already scoped out for the next update.
tcope

Are you forgetting about Version 5.1? That was actually the largest incremental update we have ever released.
https://www.simplify3d.com/products/sim ... rsion-5-1/
I did mention v5 and 2 updates. v5, v5.1... all it whatever you want. v5.1 or any other v5 version only adds some features that free slicers have had for _years_. It also still lacks tons of features that free slicers have had for years.
In addition, the rate of updates has definitely been quicker after the V5 launch. We released more updates in the last 12 months than any other year I know of in the past. You can see many of the recent ones here:
https://www.simplify3d.com/products/sim ... ase-notes/
This is actually something you may not want to mention as it simply points out that for years there were no (zero) updates released. How many releases have there been over the past _5_ years? Free slicers put out updates every few months and have been doing so year after year.
For the last few months, I know our developers have been working hard building features for the next big update. The bigger releases take longer to develop, so it's normal to have extra time before those get announced. From the features I have already seen, I know they completed several very poplar feature request, so I think there will be much to like when it goes live.
Silent for 5 years, 2-3 updates and then nothing for the past 5 months with the promise (again) of more updates at some point. As mentioned above S3D is _YEARS_ behind most (all?) _free_ slicers. At this pace and with it's track record, it will never even come close to the free slicers out there.

As I mentioned, I had some words to say about the "promise" of v5 (that it would never happen). I think I ate a little crow by paying for the update. However, facts are facts and they should be obvious to everyone. I've made a request (to allow the slicer accept a file name and transfer it over to the printer and also to allow the printer profile to be modified in case thinks like the IP address change on a wireless connection). Nothing. And nothing for the past 5 months. But I don't even care about that. Even small changes seem to take months/years. They are _huge_ features in free slicers that are lacking. Those should have all been in v5 (after years of development). Okay... not in v5, maybe future updates. But it's been a _year_ and still really very little. We waited years with nothing, we paid again and waited a year and next to nothing.

As I said, S3D was a GREAT product.. one of the best slicers made. Kudo's. But (at least to me... and probably 99.9% of the market)... it's simply won't be the case any longer. Sorry if that is offensive.
S3D-Jason

I only mentioned 5.1 because you said there have only been bug fix releases. V5.1 was a very significant feature release for us, which added dozens of highly popular requests. Like I said, the largest incremental release we have ever done.

I do think it's relevant that we've been releasing more updates recently than any other point in our past. For example, if you liked S3D V3 or V4, then our rate of updates this year has been faster than any other point with those earlier releases. I know our developers have been working hard to speed up their release cycle. We also track things like features completed or amount of code written, and by all the metrics we have it's been a record year for us. Sure, we will keep trying to get faster, but I think the team has made major improvements.

I see two feature requests that you mentioned:
  • to allow the slicer accept a file name and transfer it over to the printer
  • allow the printer profile to be modified in case things like the IP address change on a wireless connection
I believe I remember seeing those requests previously as well, but I will certainly make sure they are documented. However, I should point out that we prioritize features based on popularity with our entire customer base, not how long ago the change was requested. So just because it was requested several months ago doesn't necessarily mean it is high priority on our side. We also need to see that other customers want the same change. Your second feature request for example actually had several customers who actually voted that it should NOT be included (viewtopic.php?p=72803#p72803).

I want to keep things constructive, so I think it would be best to track these feature requests in the dedicated sub-forum. If there's any other major features you want to see added, please feel free to add your votes on those threads. That feedback funnels directly to our team so we can select the most important features to pursue next.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”