Luani

Ineffecient bottom layers since 5.0

Hello,

Since upgrading to Simplify3D 5.0, I've observed a change in the structure of the bottom layers. Previously, they used to be continuous, but now they appear to be split. An example of this is evident in inefficient bottom layers 2 and 3 (as shown in the attached image).
inefficient bottom layers 2.PNG
inefficient bottom layers 3.PNG
I have a practice of closing small holes in the first layer to minimize the number of starting points, ensuring better adhesion to the bed. However, with the current split structure, the short perimeter of these small holes seems to have trouble sticking well, leading to failed prints. As a workaround, I find myself drilling through the first layer afterward.

In the case of inefficient bottom layers, I encounter another example, though less problematic. Personally, I would prefer a continuous bottom layer rather than three separate ones.
inefficient bottom layers.PNG
I am curious about the rationale behind this change in Simplify3D 5.0. I would appreciate the ability to choose which version of Simplify3D I use, as these alterations have resulted in previously successful prints now turning into failures. Understanding these changes would help me adapt my printing strategies accordingly.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
S3D-Jason

Re: Ineffecient bottom layers since 5.0

It looks like your preview is showing different layers. The first one seems to only show layer 1, while the second is showing layer 2. On the second layer, it looks like you have a hole starting on the layer, so the portion of layer 1 below that hole is going to be categorized as a top layer (since there is nothing else above it). With V5 you can set custom properties like speeds, flowrate, etc for the top layers, so if those properties are different than the standard solid layers it gets printed separately like you showed in the photo.

Typically, this is the desired behavior since you get the exact speeds and flowrates that you want for those exposed regions. If you want to disable that feature though, you can go to Edit Process Settings > Speeds tab > change the Top Layer Speed to the same value as the Solid Infill Speed. Depending on the profile changes you made, you can also review Edit Process Settings > Infill tab > Top Layers area to make sure the extrusion modifier is set to 100%.
Luani

Re: Ineffecient bottom layers since 5.0

Thank you for the explanation; I completely overlooked this aspect. It prompted me to inspect my model, and I realized that I designed it for a smaller nozzle, resulting in the first layer being too for the bigger nozzle. :oops:

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”