wirlybird

Problem With Raft In V5

Why does it put down this layer for the raft? It is the raft "base" layer and it is absolutely useless.
2.jpg
When it puts down the top layer it is very uneven and not at all smooth because of all of the gaps in the base layer.
3.jpg
We used to be able to do just one layer for a raft in v4 but not v5 and also were able to control the density of the raft layer in v4. i.e. how close the extrusions were to each other.
Last edited by wirlybird on Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
parallyze

Re: Problem With Raft In V5

wirlybird wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:13 pm Why does it put down this layer for the raft? It is the raft "base" layer and it is absolutely useless.
Maybe Raft Base Layers is set to 1? Why don't you disable the base layer if it's useless, is that not possible in v5?
wirlybird wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:13 pm When it puts down the top layer it is very uneven and not at all smooth because of all of the gaps in the base layer.
...what's the reason for keeping it then?
wirlybird wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:13 pm We used to be able to do just one layer for a raft and also were able to control the density of the raft layer. i.e. how close the extrusions were to each other.
Not using v5, no factory file to check settings attached... trying to figure out why you're not setting
raft base layers to 0 and raft top layers to 1, is that not possible in v5 anymore like it was in v4?!
raft.JPG
Or is this post about something else, raft top infill settings or so?
wirlybird

This is in V5 and you cannot set it to zero. We are able to in V4.
In V4 we also used to be able to set the top layer density.

Every time S3D puts out an update they seem to break more stuff that worked well than adding or fixing things.
parallyze

wirlybird wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:38 am This is in V5 and you cannot set it to zero. We are able to in V4.
All I could find was a video showing the settings in v5:
rv5.JPG
If the GUI doesn't allow to set this to 0 I'd probably try to export the profile and edit
the XML file. This might "override" the GUI and be a workaround.

wirlybird wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:38 am In V4 we also used to be able to set the top layer density.
Can't remember the last time I've been printing a raft, so I can't really judge how useful this might be for others. But...
wirlybird wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:38 am Every time S3D puts out an update they seem to break more stuff that worked well than adding or fixing things.
Hmm... looking at this I'm not sure they might even consider this a "bug". A removed feature is a design decision
and so is what values certain settings can be set to.

Guess: At best you'll get the recommendation to open a feature request. Like with almost all the features they
removed in v5 which people are missing now (checkboxes/infill sliders etc.).

One of the features they removed I was using often: Different infill angles. It seems you can't simply add them
like before, but according to posts here on the forum the fields to enter angles will magically reappear when
opening a v4 factory file which is using multiple infill angles... let's not talk about the changes in licensing...

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”