Radish

Next release?

When will the next version of Simplify3D be released and what will be included in that release?
S3D-Jason

Re: Next release?

We're working on the next major release now. I'm not able to share specific features yet, but I can tell you they do a great job prioritizing features that are requested most by customers. Many of the big things they've already completed are features I've seen requested a lot here and elsewhere.

In the past, major releases came out every 1-2 years, so that's a decent guess for this round as well.
tcope

It was about 5 years from v4 to v5 and then there was a $60 charge for v5. It has been about 2 years and counting since V5 was released. Even v5 is about 5 years behind all other free slicers. Personally, I cannot come up with 1 reason to pay for S3D any longer. Pretty much all free slicers are _years_ ahead in features and get updates every few months. It's been a _year_ since anything was added to S3D.
ampster

tcope wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:44 pm It was about 5 years from v4 to v5 and then there was a $60 charge for v5. It has been about 2 years and counting since V5 was released. Even v5 is about 5 years behind all other free slicers. Personally, I cannot come up with 1 reason to pay for S3D any longer. Pretty much all free slicers are _years_ ahead in features and get updates every few months. It's been a _year_ since anything was added to S3D.
got any other dead horses to beat? I mean last day of the 3rd month of 2024 and you are just about covering the same topic during these first few months of this year.

Yeah, we get it.
OneZ I3
CR-10S "Trailer Maker"
CR-10S "Black Betty"
Ender 5 Pro "Ginger"
Ender 5 Plus "Wilson"
P1P "Pooper"
K1 Max "Max"
tcope

ampster wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:06 am got any other dead horses to beat? I mean last day of the 3rd month of 2024 and you are just about covering the same topic during these first few months of this year.
Simply giving an answer to the question by giving some perspective.
TheBum

If I'm paying $130 for every major upgrade, I'd expect some formal documentation. There are some features in v5 that I don't have any reference for what they do.
S3D-Jason

I'd like to try to keep things constructive, so I provided the information I have to the original question. I know many customers will always want more and faster releases, but I do believe the progress the team has made with the speed of the numerous releases after 5.0 was very positive. We are now focused on the next major release, so that's why there haven't been constant releases the last few months. This is normal before each major release.

Again, if there are specific features you want to see added in the next update, please document those by voting in the Feature Request sub-forum. The team uses those quite a bit for planning purposes and prioritization.

For the question about documentation, please feel free to create a new topic if there's a particular subject you need help with. There's many of us on the forum that could probably help!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”